If 2 Assignees are selected on board Quick Filters I want it to display results for either Assignee1 OR Assignee2

Trevan Householder_Isos-Tech-Consulting_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 6, 2016

Currently, JIRA applies an AND condition, so if I select two assignees, results only show if they are both assigned, which can't happen because an issue can only be assigned to one person.  If I select two or more assignees, I want to see results for all selected assignees (OR instead of AND).  Is there a way to do this in JQL?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 6, 2016

The quick-filters can't do it, as you say, they're AND

But the JQL is a doddle for a single filter - "assignee in (human1, human2, human7)". 

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 6, 2016

Thanks for your response, @Nic.  If I understand your recommendation, I would have to create a separate filter for every possible combination.

For example, if there are 7 assignees on the team but I want to see the issues assigned to three of them, I would have to create a filter for that specific scenario.  If I wanted to display several others, I would have to have a quick filter set for that specific scenario.

If that's the case, then my fears are confirmed.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 6, 2016

Yes, you have understood my (dodgy) prose perfectly.

The other option I use sometimes is to shift the problem elsewhere - base the JQL on the assignees membership of a role or group.  But that's still a long way off ideal for what you need.

Rising Star
Rising Star
July 6, 2016

Thanks, Nic.  It's nice to consider other alternatives.  I greatly appreciate the time you've saved me with your feedback.

Suggest an answer