Identify Internal and External Incident

Rinju Mukherjee October 11, 2017

Dear Experts, 

We are using JIRA Service Desk for our customer support whereas our development team works on JIRA. So when the support team needs help from development team, they create a Linked Issue in JIRA. So in JIRA you are two categories of incidents:

1. Incidents created as linked incident from the JIRA service desk (external or customer incidents)

2. Incidents, which are directly created in the JIRA itself by our internal stakeholders like QA, Product Management etc. (internal incidents)

We need to some how identify that whether incident is external or internal, which is required as JIRA Service Desk incidents are SLA bound and hence should get higher priority and also reporting has to be different for both the types.

Can someone please suggest how can we do so?

One easy way is of course to create two projects in JIRA, one for external incident and the other one for internal incident. But this will disturb the way dev. team works as they need to work on multiple projects. We do not want that way. 

Please suggest!

Do let me know in case I need to provide any further details ?

Thanks

Rinju

1 answer

0 votes
JIRA Trainer October 13, 2017

One way of solving the problem is to make use of the groups linked to the reporter.

Support team users can be linked to group "Service Desk Agent"

Developers can be linked to group "Developer"

The JIRA automation lite add on can be used to update priority (lite version is free):

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.atlassian.plugin.automation.jira-automation-plugin/server/overview

How to setup add on:

JIRa automation - update priority based on user member of group.GIF

Reporting can make use of:

reporter in membersOf("Developer*")

*  the applicable group

Rinju Mukherjee October 15, 2017

Hi Casper,

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, this add-on is only available for service version and not for cloud. We are using cloud version (both for JIRA and JIRA Service Desk).

Not sure if JIRA has some way to create automation rule like it is there for JIRA service desk. I will contact my JIRA admin and try to explore it.

Thanks

Rinju

JIRA Trainer October 16, 2017

The service desk automation engine has a similar option to the add on mentioned by me.  You will be able to use the same logic explained above. That should be available for the cloud version as well.

Rinju Mukherjee October 16, 2017

Thanks again. Service desk automation can only change the status of incident in JIRA Service Desk (though it can be based on the transition of an issue from JIRA core). But I have not found a way to change/set something in JIRA based on JIRA service desk. The logic you mentioned earlier would have surely work but JIRA service desk automation cannot change/update JIRA ticket or at least I have not found a way to do so. If you (or someone) knows how to do that, I will be grateful.

Thanks

Rinju

Suggest an answer