Icebox / un-ranked stories in Jira?

Jon Elling September 9, 2014

How are people managing unranked / unevaluated feature requests within Jira? For example, if one of my co-workers has an idea I want them to be able to easily log it within JIRA but I don't want it silently falling to to the bottom of my backlog, or worse, starting at the top.

In Pivotal tracker, this feature is called the icebox, thus the post tile.

2 answers

2 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 10, 2014

Depends on the process.  If it's proper scrum, then it goes into the backlog, and then your workers emphasise its importance during planning.  I tend to stick labels on them so people can quickly find them during planning.

Or you could build it into the workflow and have an explicit icebox status.

André Neves February 8, 2017

But if you add issues faster than you finish them, it's only a matter of time until your backlog is larger than you can manage it.

Then the new issues either go to the bottom of the backlog and are easily forgotten, or they go to the top of the backlog and keep frustrating your previous planning work.

The asker is looking for a way to manage this by having a bag for unranked stories where new ones can be automatically dumped without disturbing the cataloguing and planning work that has been done on the backlog with the ranked and prioritized stories.

I think your answer does not address that.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 8, 2017

Yes it does.

Build it into the workflow, and have your board ignore the "icebox" status.

0 votes
André Neves February 8, 2017

A related question was asked one month later: https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/9878776

There is a feature-request for this: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWSERVER-15740
You can vote for this feature-request, to raise its importance.

Suggest an answer