IMAP mailbox - Mail do not remain in Exchange inbox

Daniel Seegräber December 13, 2017

Hi,

I just switched one of our mailboxes from POP to Secure IMAP because I was hoping mails would remain in our Exchange mailbox (so that I would still be able to open the mails with Outlook).

Unfortunately mails do not remain in the Exhange inbox. Is there a way to configure the mailbox like this?

thanks and kind regards
daniel

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 13, 2017

No, they're not supposed to remain in the inbox.  The systems delete them to say "I've imported this"

Thanks for your quick response!

But that's a bit odd, because within Service Desk mails do remain in the inbox when I use IMAP !?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 13, 2017

Service Desk handles them differently.

For plain Jira mail, it's got no way to know whether an email has been processed, so it has to delete them.

Ok, thanks!

Then I'll setup a forward rule into another inbox where we can check mails which have not been processed properly.

0 votes
Christopher Young December 22, 2017

I know this was already answered and apologize if it is a bit long. However, I would like to provide a bit more information for those that may need to keep mail sent to either a support or mail-handler inbox and have multiple inputs.

Office 365 exchange rules function the same as the outlook desktop client. We do not move, or forward the email, but create a copy. This way we can retain a copy, Jira gets feed, and there isn't another inbox to manage.

Email arrives -> rule processes copying to a folder -> jira scans and creates the request -> jira removes the email -> happy customers & techs.

We have multiple distribution lists that send to a single account. These DL provide alerts, notifications, etc. from various tools. We only send to this inbox if we want Jira to handle the messages so the mapping works for the rules we create.

Requirements:
    Office 365 tenant
    Exchange Mailbox and Distribution lists
    Folder or folders to copy mail to
    A cold beer

Outlook 365 Settings:

1. Login to the web portal (https://portal.office.com)
    2. Click Mail
    3. Click the COG (little gear) top right corner
    4. Under App Settings click Mail
    5. Expand Mail > Automatic processing > Inbox and Sweep rules
    6. Click the + button under Inbox rules
        a. Give it a name:
            "Copy Cat"
        b. When the message arrives, and matches one of these conditions
        c. It was sent or received:
            "Sent To (Your DL not mailbox address)"
        d. Do all of the following:
            "Copy the message to folder"