IMAP Mail Server setup fails

Aron Felberbaum January 19, 2015

I am trying to configure an IMAP-Account in order to create/comment issues in JIRA via email.

After following the documentation, it is still not working. Following is my setup:

Name: Exchange 2013
Description: xyz
Protocol: IMAP
Host name:10.50.1.10
IMAP Port: 143
Timeout: 10000
Username: xyz
Password: xyz
"Test connection" returns the following error:

Unfortunately no connection was possible. Review the errors below and rectify:

• ProtocolException: No login methods supported!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 19, 2015

That usually means that your mail server requires a certain type of login, which is not what you have configured.  Or that it simply is not set up for IMAP at all.  You'll need to talk to the server admins.  Exchange 2013 sadly ships with IMAP disabled in favour of the inferior MAPI protocol, so it could be that.

Aron Felberbaum January 19, 2015

The only way I got Incoming Mail to work is if I set the authentication in Exchange for IMAP to Basic Authentication (Plain Text). Is there any way to get it to work using Secure TLS authentication

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 19, 2015

Ah, sorry, I really should have remembered that as well, as I never recommend using an unencrypted connection - should always be StartTLS or IMAPS. Problem with StartTLS is that Java doesn't do it unless you explicitly kick it into working. To do that, add -Dmail.imap.starttls.enable=true to the startup parameters in setenv.sh

Aron Felberbaum January 21, 2015

I was able to add this parameter by following this link https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRAKB/%27javax.mail.MessagingException+No+login+methods+supported%27+Due+to+IMAP+over+SSL Now I'm getting error "SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target". I tried to follow the instructions of the link "Connecting to SSL services" in the document referenced above by using the JIRA SSL Atlassian plugin referenced on that page but I'm getting error "class javax.net.ssl.SSLException during connection to..." Jira is installed locally on a windows server 2012

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 21, 2015

So the -D parameter works and enables StartTLS, but now your certificates are not installed correctly. You'll need to import the right certificates into the java keystore, and ensure the process running Jira has the correct permissions to read/write it...

Aron Felberbaum January 21, 2015

After importing SSL certificates for the wembail server using the JIRA SSL Atlassian plugin and restating Jira the connection was successful.

Suggest an answer