I would like to delete a user whose issues are all closed

Audrey March 28, 2013

I have a user who left the company. I changed the reporter on his issues and closed all the issues he reported. I am still unable to delete this user because he reported issues. Is there a way to delete this user without reopening all the issues and reassigning the "reported by"? Please help.

Thanks

6 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Ramiro Pointis
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 1, 2013

Really the best choice you have is to remove the user from any group or permission that he has since you are using OD version. If I remember correctly the user without the jira-user group changes to inactive and it can't be used.

If a user doesn't belong to any group or permission it doesn't count on your license.

Hope this helps!

Audrey April 3, 2013

Thank you! This was exactly the solution I needed. I appreciate eveyone taking the time to answer

Vinod Patel March 5, 2019

Hi We have a self hosted instance of jira. We want to remove some users who have left the system. I am not able to delete the user because he has written some comments on issues. 

Even if i make this user inactive / remove all group / permission, License count doesn't decrease. 

Please suggest

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 5, 2019

Please see the accepted answer - it is still correct, despite being 6 years old, and "delete" is not going to be useful to you.

Making the user unable to log in by removing them from the user groups OR making them inactive definitely stops them counting towards the licence count.  I usually do both.

Check Admin -> Manage applications to check the group access.  For the disabling of users, it depends on how your user directory is being done.  Is it internal?

0 votes
Gaurav Mishra
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 1, 2013

I think then the only option you have is to create a user like "deleted-user" or something like that, and assign all the issues of all the users you want to delete, and then assign those issues to this user, and then you can delete rest of the users. But I am not sure why you would want that.

If it is because of licensing factor, then as Nic suggested, just remove the user from all groups and then user should not be counted towards your license. You can just leave the user inactive.

0 votes
Rehman Khan April 1, 2013

Hi,

Hope you are doing Great.

I want to remove a User who is not with our Company any more. In this case there is no Issue Reported by the User & All the Issues that were assigned to Him are Fixed Closed.

I am unable to Delete.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 1, 2013

The advice still stands. You need to change all the assignees to someone who is going to remain in the system.

The status of the issues is utterly irrelevant - Jira needs a valid user account in reporter and assignee.

Generally though, the advice is not to delete Jira users at all. Remove them from all roles and groups, but don't delete them (it's a good idea to rename them - add "left" or "inactive" or something to their name). That way, you don't have to reassign closed issues or edit reporters, and you retain a history of their activity.

0 votes
Gaurav Mishra
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 29, 2013

I dont' know what permissions are granted on on-demand instances, but certainly you will be able to use JQL option (the no 2), thats a standard JIRA feature.

0 votes
alan lippa March 29, 2013

And how would you do this same action in a hosted platform profile such as mine?

thanks!

0 votes
Gaurav Mishra
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 29, 2013

you can write a simple database query to replace him as a reporter. Look at https://developer.atlassian.com/display/JIRADEV/Database+Schema for the database schema. If it is mysql, and username is a which you want to replace with b, its a simple query

update jiraissue set  REPORTER='b' where  REPORTER='a';

This is as simple using the UI, just do a JQL query for all isssues for that reporter, and make a bulk change. It won't reopen all the issues, and you have the option to not notify anyoen.However, your workflow must allow editing of closed issues, see https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Allow+editing+of+Closed+Issues

Naren
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 1, 2013

I am afraid, you won't be able to modify the database as you are using JIRA OnDemand. Have a look at the below links -

Restricted Functions on JIRA OnDemand

Atlassian OnDemand's Application Access

Hope this helps!

Suggest an answer