I would like to clear out Labels.

Edison Casado August 7, 2012

I beleive that Labels is a Jira system field and users cannot remove current rendering. We would like to start over again and use this field in a more constructive manner. Can you help?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Natalie Hobson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 8, 2012

The easiest way would be through bulk editing. Just select all the tickets that have a value in the labels field, and when you bulk edit them click the checkbox next to the labels field. As long as you don't type anything in the labels field on the bulk edit screen it will remove any value in the field for those tickets (essentially overwriting what is there with nothing).

If you have tens of thousands of tickets, though, there might be a more efficient way.

Edison Casado August 8, 2012

To clarify, I would like to clear the "Values" that display as choices and are currently available in labels.

Natalie Hobson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 8, 2012

As far as I know, the choices displayed are suggestions based off of the values of data currently entered in the Labels field for all issues. If you remove all the current data from that field (as per my previous instructions), then you should no longer have any suggestions available in the dropdown.

I tested this in my dev instance of JIRA by removing all label data, adding "test" to the label field in an issue, then removing it. When I went to edit the labels field for the issue again, there were no longer any suggestions present, including "test".

I would suggest that you create the new protocol for using the Labels field and communicate it to affected users first, however - otherwise you'll probably have to re-do the process.

Edison Casado August 8, 2012

Thanks Nat .... I thought that perhaps these values were stored in a DB somewhere. You response is right on the money.

Natalie Hobson
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 8, 2012

Awesome! Glad I could help. :)

Suggest an answer