I would like a common board to be applied to all my projects

Stu January 7, 2018

Hi, I have the new Jira experience for software projects. 

I would like to setup my Jira so that when I create a new project, it has the same board applied to it.  This can either be done manually, but preferably it would be done automatically.

I want to have all my projects to have all the same board on it.  This seems like a really basic requirement that i thought many other people would want, but I can't see any way how to do this.  I've asked a few different people as well. 

Any help with this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 8, 2018

JIRA Boards are built on JQL filter which fetches the issues. Thus, boards are basically a view on the issues across one or multiple projects. Now, depending on the filter you will see issues. If the filter is form multiple projects then you will see issues on the board form multiple projects.

Since you don't want to manually update the JQL query everytime to include the newly created project. Thus, my suggestion to you is to use the "category" JQL keyword in your board filter and make sure whenver you create a new project it's for a specific category and thus, automatically all the newly created projects and their issues would land up in the board having the JQL filter (category =<category-name>)

Thus, only thing you have to make sure is to map the project to the category used in the JQL filter.

Stu January 8, 2018

thanks for your response, so its...

1.  copy the board that I want to replicate,

2.  change the location to new project

3.  then re-write the JQL so that only that project's issues display.  Could I just filter on the project key for that particular project?

Seems very convoluted for what I would have thought would be a pretty common requirement that people would have, ie the ability to config a template.  

What would be good is to be able to modify the Kanban or Scrum templates when you create a new project, but I believe this isn't possible.  thanks again

Tarun Sapra
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 8, 2018

Hello @Stu

Currently "copying" the board and updating the JQL filter to match the new project key is the only way. To have a "shared board" configuration between projects is something which is not there. You can vote here - https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWSERVER-12804

Stu January 8, 2018

thanks for your help

Suggest an answer