I was wondering if you could assist with the following: In JIRA is there a way to or a plug in that may support the following?

Jamie Schock February 21, 2012

Notification by change by items on a dashboard

Notification by Issue type and a combination of issue types (Milestone, and/or Risks etc.)

Notification by Priority (this is the jira default of blocker, critical, etc.)

Notification by custom field (example is risk level)

2 answers

0 votes
Jamie Schock March 12, 2012

Is there a plug in that can help send email notification by "issue type" ?

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 22, 2012

I'm sorry, I don't understand the question?

For example, "Notification by change by items on a dashboard" tells us you're interested in notifications... but do you mean issue notifications or something else? What's the dashboard got to do with it? What do you mean by "items"? In fact, your sentence implies a 4 dimensional report, with three axes that aren't at all clear and the fourth begs more questions.

Could you re-cast the question in a different way? Such as "I want Jira to do X when I do Y, and the data I get should be Z"

Jamie Schock February 22, 2012

Is there any way to get notification (Email) sent when items are updated on the dashboard.Ex.... I want everyone to know they all have access to confluence and it's posted on the dashboard, but want an email sent to everyone who has JIRA access whenever there is an update?

Is there anyone to get notification (email) sent by a specific issue type such as we choose a project and it's a milestone i.e.... can we set up JIRA to send an email anytime someone comments, changes the status, etc. on a milestones>

Is there anyway to auto send emails through JIRA by priority, high, medium, low etc? We are trying to find a way to set up email notifications for just certain people, and on certain items within JIRA>>>

Is any of this possible, if so how within JIRA, or is there a plug in that can allow to set email notifications up within JIRA?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 22, 2012

Still not quite clear on the first one - do you mean when someone edits their own dashboard, or when items inside a dashboard change? The second one is not really a useful way to think - the dashboard is simply a set of views on to the data and you don't actually care about that, you should be monitoring the data it is reporting on, so you look at the issues changing (issue changes, then the dashboard will be updated on refresh, notifications can go out based on the issue, and so-on)

Also you need to understand that the dashboard is a personal thing - every user could have a different dashboard, so "email to everyone with jira access whenever there is an update" won't work. I'd also seriously consider NOT emailing your entire user base on every change - they'll either complain, or filter it so they ignore ALL Jira email. It's basically spam - don't do it. Jira is already very easy to configure to send way too much email, try to keep it down, or your users will struggle.

Your second paragraph is better - the first part is still a little unclear on when you want to send the email and to whom, but the i.e part is exactly what Jira does with email in notification schemes. See http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Creating+a+Notification+Scheme for the details.

Third paragraph - no, not directly - Jira simply sends emails on events (i.e. changes to issues), it doesn't have field conditions, so you can't do "email by priority". There's some flexibility in recipients in the notification schemes. But you can define filters (e.g. "priority = high, unrsolved and not updated in the last 5 days") and then subscribe to them to get emailed reports on them. And, yes, there are email plugins which will do a bit more than the off-the-shelf stuff.

But start with the notification schemes before you go diving into the rest.

Suggest an answer