I was wondering if it was possible to move a column off a board, but still have it be searchable?

Randy Nieto October 4, 2017

We have a "done" column for closed statuses we would like to move off the board for archiving purposes, but we still want to be able to search for those issues if we need to. How can we archive issues and remove them from the board but still have them be searchable? 

3 answers

0 votes
josh
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 4, 2017

Similar to what Peter said, I like to hold items in the Closed column for a week after closing, and hide them from the board after that. Everything is still searchable. See this link for the Kanban board sub-filter I use:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Sub-tasks-still-appear-in-done-quot-column-when-parent-ticket-is/qaq-p/596591#M203253

0 votes
Peter DeWitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 4, 2017

@Randy Nieto, you could also modify your JQL filter to add a resolution date is within the last 5 days.  That way you can still see recently resolved issues but older issues will drop off automatically.

pd

0 votes
Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 4, 2017

You can still search on issues that are not being shown on a board. The board is just a centralized tool that allows you to map workflow statuses to columns. For the archived issues you can use filters.

Randy Nieto October 4, 2017

Yes, how but can you archive issues within a project? If I use the JQL filter of the board to filter out issues, do i have to do that for every issue, or is it a one and done? I see in quick filters: Only My Issues and Recently Updated. Is there a code snippet I can use to filter closed statuses? 

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 4, 2017

You just have to do it once per board. Just change the filter used for the board to exclude issues in a certain status. You can change that filter under Board > Configure > General.

Here is an example of a filter that exclude 'Done' issues:

project = MY AND status != Done ORDER BY Rank ASC

Mark Moussa May 30, 2018

I am using the generic Agile template and need to do the same thing per this initial question. Unfortunately, I cannot find any menu to configure the Board as described above.  Any guidance on how to get to it in the Agile template would be appreciated.

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 31, 2018

@Mark Moussa if you are referring to the new Agility template, then the board created when you create the project is not configurable. You have to use either the Scrum or Kanban template in order to be able to configure the board.

Suggest an answer