I wanted to create a workflow between two projects in JIRA

Yogita Karangula February 2, 2020

Hi Team,

I have a requirement where I wanted to create a new workflow between two projects in JIRA.

Requirement

1. I should be able to create a workflow between Project X and Project Y.
  2. Any user who creates an issue in Project X by selecting Project Y, a notification should trigger to the user in Project Y. (Users in Project X cannot access Project Y and vice versa).
  3. When the issue is resolved and a status is changed to Resolved in Project Y, then a back notification should trigger to Project X to that user who created the issue.

More Information

I know to create a workflow, add that to a workflow scheme and then associate that to different projects. But doing the same steps I could not accomplish my requirement.

Please help with this as soon as possible.

Thank you,

Yogita.

3 answers

2 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Cristian Ionescu
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 11, 2020
  1. Any user who creates an issue in Project X by selecting Project Y, a notification should trigger to the user in Project Y. (Users in Project X cannot access Project Y and vice versa).

Have you fixed this with Remove the person that should not have acces from Customers.

With this Users from X will not see the Y project and you will not more need a message.

2.When the issue is resolved and a status is changed to Resolved in Project Y, then a back notification should trigger to Project X to that user who created the issue                             -This point is in opposite with 1 (Users in Project X cannot access Project Y and vice versa). why we need to send notifications if the user should not open requests?

Yogita Karangula February 11, 2020

Yes, now project X cannot access project Y.

why we need to send notifications if the user should not open requests? - This is because my project is a service project where resources in this service project are only dedicated to fix the problems on network/system/any hardware or software problems those were raised by all the employees who are working in the company (obviously assigned to different projects).

I also noted an example for you above - EX: My system is shutting down multiple times without my notice, need assistance asap

If the problems like these an employee creates from his project, then the resource in the Service Project should be able to resolve this problem asap and change the status of the issue as DONE. Immediately the Bug that was created from the other project also should be changed to DONE and reporter should be notified on that. After seeing this notification, the reporter starts working with his system without any issues.

I think I noted it clear now.....

Cristian Ionescu
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 12, 2020

why we need to send notifications if the user should not open requests? - This is because my project is a service project where resources in this service project are only dedicated to fix the problems on network/system/any hardware or software problems those were raised by all the employees who are working in the company (obviously assigned to different projects).

A Service Desk project is used with the portal to help Customers. In your case you can put all employees as Customers in your Service Desk. Why you are not using the Service Desk like this? I ask you beacause i cannot find the logic to have a Service Desk project and not to use it at full capabilities.

The Customers licenses is free you can have 8000 Customers but you will pay only the license per Agents.

Yogita Karangula February 12, 2020

Good Morning Cristian,

Thanks for your suggestion!

Where do I find the Service Desk Project? Can you guide me on this!

0 votes
Answer accepted
Cristian Ionescu
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 2, 2020

Hi Yogita,

In Jira you can associate a workflow to single or multiple projects.

Regarding Workflow between the project i think a better approach is tu used plugins( ex. Automations for jira). This may help you with creating some rules and also send notifications to users.

Yogita Karangula February 3, 2020

Hi Cristian,

Thank you for your quick response.

Can you please elaborate on Automations for jira plugin that you suggested. What are the different activities that we can do through this plugin.

0 votes
Cristian Ionescu
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 3, 2020

1.I should be able to create a workflow between Project X and Project Y.

Project X and Project Y are 2 separte jira Projects?

2.Any user who creates an issue in Project X by selecting Project Y, a notification should trigger to the user in Project Y. (Users in Project X cannot access Project Y and vice versa)

You can manage this from the People list of the two project: Project Settings->People

3.When the issue is resolved and a status is changed to Resolved in Project Y, then a back notification should trigger to Project X to that user who created the issue.

Could you please explain this topics since above you are asking for: Users in Project X cannot access Project Y and vice versa

Actually Project Y is a IT Operations Service Project in my requirement. The user in Project Y will not have access to any projects (may be he can just see the issues coming from all projects where he can resolve them and change the status in his Project Y)

Same thing with the users in Project X. They can create a service request from their own project EX: My system is shutting down multiple times without my notice, need assistance asap.

Once the user in Project X creates the above request he should be selecting Project Y so that the notification goes to Project Y member. But he cannot access the issues that are coming in for Project Y.

Cristian Ionescu
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 3, 2020

So I understand that you have 2 Service Desks projects with 2 Portals interface?

One is a service desk project Ex: Project Y in my case. The other Project X is a software project from which the initial notification should trigger when there is a help needed from Operations team not always.

Cristian Ionescu
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 3, 2020

Why you are not add in project Y the people from project X as Customer since is a service desk and they will can open request and see only their own?

I did not get the question you asked Cristian

Cristian Ionescu
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 3, 2020

I undersand that you have two projects:

Project Y - Service desk project

Project X -Software project

2.Any user who creates an issue in Project X by selecting Project Y, a notification should trigger to the user in Project Y. (Users in Project X cannot access Project Y and vice versa).

You can set per project the People list. Ex. Project Y(Ben,Tom,Chris) Project X(Diana,Tom) this solve Question 2?

Yes I think Automation for JIRA app works for my requirement. I went through the video and the notes that was given on it.

Thanks for help.

I will reach again after installing this app and try on a free trail for my requirement.

Yogita Karangula February 6, 2020

Hi Cristian,

As you suggested I tried adding Automation JIRA app with Sample project.

I created a rule and when I published the rule it said 'Rule updated successfully' but still spinner is turning and the rule is not applied on the other project.

I uploaded the rule and unapplied project also for reference. I want some next steps to proceed.

Capture.JPGCapture1.JPG

Cristian Ionescu
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 9, 2020

Hi Yogita,

When you create a issue in the current project it will open a BUG in SP project.

Can you pleaser test it. We need to know if it is working.

Yogita Karangula February 9, 2020

Hi Cristian,

Yes now able to see the new ticket created in Service Project through the new rule created in Sample Project.

Now I have another requirement like the below.

1. Once the status of newly created bug is Fixed/Done in Service Project then an email should be sent to the Reporter in Sample Project and the status in the Sample Project should also be changed to Fixed/Done.

If this works well then the workflow between Sample Project and Service Project will be set.

Can you suggest next steps on this?

Hi Cristian,

I tried few steps for the above workflow that I mentioned.

I created a rule applying Field Value trigger but for applying the transition of this status change to another project, there is no provision to select another project in this rule.

I want suggestion on this!

Cristian Ionescu
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 9, 2020

Why you need to change the status of a issue from another project when the issu from current project is transit?

Because in my requirement, if an issue is fixed (Example: System problem) by Service Operator then he will be changing the status of this issue in his project only.

But in my workflow notification should go to the Reporter (who actually created the issue from another project for seeking help from Service Operator regarding system problem) intimating that the system problem is fixed.

Seeing this notification as Done for the issue, the Reporter continuous working on his system.

Cristian Ionescu
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 9, 2020

Why you cannot restrict the acces per projects. It is not the best practice to Open another ticket in another project when someone is opening a ticket in first project.

No per project access rights were set. Only notification should go to the concerned Reporter that his system problem was fixed and he can use his system now. With this the workflow between both the projects closes.

Please go through my initial requirement in the above comments to suggest me on this.

Suggest me the next steps with regards to Automation in JIRA

Yogita Karangula February 10, 2020

Hi Cristian,

Can you please suggest any next steps on this?

Yogita Karangula February 12, 2020

Have you fixed this with Remove the person that should not have acces from Customers.

Yes Cristian, Now Project X cannot access Project Y. I defined different permission schemas to both the projects.

With this Users from X will not see the Y project and you will not more need a message.

How will the customer know that his problem is fixed by the Service Project?

Yogita Karangula February 13, 2020

I think we should be having a call to be in sync with each other

I really need this requirement to be closed.

Hi Cristian,

I saw a demo on Service Desk Project. But when I wanted to create a service desk project why I am not able to select one?

Capture3.JPG

Cristian Ionescu
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 17, 2020

Hi Yogita,

Tou have to click Classic Project.

Then Change Template and from the dropdown select Service Desk.111.PNG222.PNG

Yogita Karangula February 17, 2020

Hi Cristian,

This is what I did and I was able to create the project and went through the workflow of service desk too.

Thanks for your support.

Yogita Karangula February 19, 2020

Hi Cristian,

I am all set to use JIRA Service Desk. I got the customer portal link from the service desk settings. Since I am an administrator I was able to access to the link and tried couple of requests from the customer portal.

But how do all customers see the customer portal with their login credentials?

If I send them the portal link, they can access the help center and continue raising requests.

But that cannot be the case always, they should have a link some where as Help Center in their left navigation bar to access from their credentials.

Can you please help me on this.

Thank You,

Yogita.

Cristian Ionescu
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 19, 2020

Hi,

Best practice is to send them the portal link so they will bookmark the link in browser.

Every time they gonna need it they will go to the book mark.

Also if they login once they will have the credential save in the browser.

Yogita Karangula February 20, 2020

Thank You Cristian, I thought they would be a configuration process where they can access a Help Center link in their projects list navigation.

Cool! I think I am good to go!

Suggest an answer