I want to see all the transitions when moving the ticket across board.

Michal Krajnak November 30, 2020

Hello, 

I am using restricted transitions on my workflow. I have two status in Finished Column (Done, Cancelled). I can only go to Done when I am on the previous Status (Ready For Demo). 
To status Cancelled I can go from any status. 
Our developers usually move tasks from In Progress to Finish Column causing assigning the status to Cancelled because of the workflow restrictions. 
The problem is, we cannot see which status we are assigning when moving across board. 
I can only see the statuses when there are more possible within one Column (From Ready for Demo to Done or Cancelled
Is there any way to always see what status the ticket will have when I move it to a specific Column? 

Thanks for response in advance. 

Regards, 

Krajnak.

3 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Walter Buggenhout
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 30, 2020

Hi @Michal Krajnak,

It is quite common in a transition to a cancelled status to ask the user for a reason why the issue is cancelled. It could be through a comment  or a specific custom field (reason for cancellation e.g.).

Since you have already clearly tweaked your workflow, I assume you are familiar with the concepts of a transition screen and a validator. By adding a screen to your transition and a required fields validator to make sure a reason for cancellation is filled out, the transition can only be made after this information is filled out. And as such reduce the risk of the transition being executed by accident.

(you could also use conditions to avoid the transition can be made by developers, by the way - if that may work as a solution as well)

I am mentioning the workarounds as your setup makes perfect sense. If both the Done and Cancelled statuses can be reached through transitions from the current status, they will show as 2 different boxes in the right column. However, if cancelled is the only status that can be reached from in progress, you'll need to make the definition of done somewhat stricter to comply with. It will always be the only available box in the done column with your current setup.

Michal Krajnak November 30, 2020

Thank you for very quick response @Walter Buggenhout 
There is a reason why the devs move tickets, so we cannot create the restrictions. 
It's a great suggestion to prompt user to provide comment when you are cancelling the ticket. I will do so. (Anyway, in our ways of working, it's mandatory to put a comment when you cancel the ticket. )
The DoD is well defined, but sometimes there are cases where it makes sense to skip review and testing. And the team is new with the restricted workflow so it will take some time for them to respect it :)

Thanks again and have a nice day.

Like Walter Buggenhout likes this
1 vote
Mariana_Pryshliak_Saasjet
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
December 1, 2020

Hello @Michal Krajnak 

There are 2 solutions you can try to solve your issue. 

Time in Status for Jira Cloud generates a report on how long an issue has been staying in each status. Regarding your issue - it generates a transition count report, that shows how many times an issue has been to each status.

TIS_transition count.png

Also, Issue History becomes helpful. It shows all the changes that have been made to the issue. So you can get info on who and when have been moved an issue from one status to another.

imgpsh_fullsize_anim (2).png

I hope it helps.

Best regards, Mariana.

0 votes
Bloompeak Support
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
December 1, 2020

Hi @Michal Krajnak ,

If you are looking for a free solution you can try Status Time Free app.

stf-issue-screen-view-2.png

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events