I want to reimplement our JIRA environment

Kieran McKewen November 19, 2014

Hey,

We are a business that has expanded rapidly, but I think our JIRA environment has not been implemented correctly.

Is there a way I can re-implement a new JIRA environment without disrupting current operations? Or an environment to modify and test JIRA configurations before migrating it to our live JIRA?

Some things I am hoping to achieve:

• Move from internal-only projects to a mixture of internal and public
  • Allow public issue creation and watching
  • Restructure user and group permissions and schemas
  • Implement a uniform workflow for all like-categorised projects (mobile, bug, feature, etc.)

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Bhushan Nagaraj
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 19, 2014

Hi Kieran,

Create a staging environment using your own database and server version of JIRA. You can backup your whole instance of JIRA cloud and restore it.

You can use the information available on how to migrate from Cloud to Server to do so.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Migrating+from+JIRA+Cloud+to+JIRA+Server

1 vote
Radek Antoniuk
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 19, 2014

Hello Kieran,

It really depends on how complicated your current JIRA instance is.

Anyway, it is recommended to have a test instance of JIRA that you will use for instance when doing major upgrades or plugin upgrades before touching your main instance. So, anyhow, setting this environment up will be beneficial for you and this will be definitely the simplest way to go to evaluate your new idea of how JIRA should work.

However, keep in mind, that you also need to think of how to migrate those changes later on, from your-old-JIRA-instance that has totally different settings to your production old-JIRA-instance that is running in production and that might not be a trivial task.

Again, this depends on how many things you want to change

For example: project privileges, issue types, workflows - i would do that in the main instance and then gradually "switch" projects to use the new settings.

Another scenario, is a massive change of listeners and/or JIRA user base. This I would definitely test out in a TEST JIRA instance, and then develop a "migration" procedure to get it sorted out in production.

Hope that helps,

Radek

Suggest an answer