I want to make the resolution field only required for a single project.

BernardH February 3, 2015

I have created a separate field configuration and assigned that configuration to a project and screens, but I do not have an option to make that field required? Thoughts?

3 answers

0 votes
George Lewe (LSY)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 3, 2015

You could create a custom workflow for those projects not needing the resolved status and resolution. Create a status like "Done" or "Completed" and don't even offer the resolution field in the transition screen. Unless I am misunderstanding your question.

Best regards,
George

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 3, 2015

But you would want to set it with a post function or the issue will always show in the assigned to me filter and if you use the open vs. resolved chart the results would be misleading. Bottom line is the field needs to be set somehow when the issue is completed.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 3, 2015

You don't want the Resolution field to be mandatory.  If it is, then you'll be creating issues that are "resolved" instantly, so JIRA and your users will treat them as done.

If you really do want that, just place the resolution on the "create issue" screen.  It's not technically mandatory, but it will have the desired effect.

0 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 3, 2015

The resolution field is ALWAYS required when presented. That is why it should only be on the screen presented during the transition you where you want it set.  By saying you don't want it required, you are also saying you don't want to use any of the built in filters, such as assigned to me, that are based on the resolution field being set or not. An issue will continue to show as assigned even if it is in whatever status you use for complete/closed.

BernardH February 3, 2015

Joe - I have the resolution field on every project and it is not required to be completed. In the default field configuration I have the option to set the field as required or optional. When I create a second field configuration those options are removed. I do not have the option to set it as required or optional.

Suggest an answer