I want to have a custom field to select parent story when filing a new task. Is that possible?

Uma Ayyer April 3, 2014

Similar to the field called "Epic Link Relationship", i want to setup a custom field for my team called "Parent Story" so that they can select it when filing a task. Is that allowed? What is a good way to go about this?

2 answers

2 votes
Abhishek Kaushik February 14, 2017

There should be option to allow JIRA admins to add a new field like Epic. Simple and important business case is, As a product owner I want to create one more level "theme" between Epic and User Stories to manage my backlog better. Pls let me solution  for this ?

Lot of JIRA clients are suffering form this, I dont understand such simple and required things are not given in JIRA.

0 votes
Danilo Conrad
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 1, 2015

Hi Uma,

This is currently not possible - Our recommendation would be to use sub-tasks or Issue Links to establish a relationship between your "Parent Story" and the related tasks. You may also add a URL field and manually insert the direct link to the parent issue's URL.

We've raised a suggestion on our public issue tracker to track this feature, which may or may not be implemented in the future:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-47584

We recommend you to vote on the suggestion to increase its visibility with our development team and also add yourself as a watcher to be notified of any future updates. For more information about how our development team uses our public issue tracker and also how they choose which features are implemented, you may refer to links below:

Best regards,

Danilo

Suggest an answer