I want to create some background workflows

p March 17, 2015

Hello to all,

some other tools (specific workflow tools) provide functions for implement or customize workflows behind specific functions.

For example: Handling exceptions with OEM in context of a change request workflow.

Can someone tell me if it´s possible to create some background workflows for existing workflows?

Thanks and best regards.

1 answer

2 votes
Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 17, 2015

Not sure what you mean, but you can restrict workflow steps to particular project roles or groups so if the user isn't part of the allowed users they won't see the transition.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 17, 2015

I think it sounds like they want to have actions have workflows, but that's not really sensible inside Jira's framework. I suspect they need to do exactly what you say - map the whole process into a workflow and control it with conditions. (Although it might be that sub-tasks would be useful to break up some of this - e.g. would "exceptions" and "change requests" be useful as sub-tasks with their own workflows?)

p March 17, 2015

I need a seperate workflow for my actions inside my workflow to implement a second level for handling exceptions. If a condition is true or false the process follow the workflow on the deeper level.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 17, 2015

Two options: 1. Raise subtasks with their own workflow for handling it 2. You have a process that includes what you are calling a "separate workflow". It is not separate, that's not really sensible. It's just part of the whole process that you are choosing to think of as separate. Stop thinking of it as separate, because it isn't, it's just part of your workflow, which, as Joe says, you can control entry into with Conditions (if X, then disallow main part of workflow, and allow entry into the subroutine)

Joe Pitt
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 17, 2015

You can setup conditions to check for the value of a field and allow/disallow transitions. This would allow taking different paths based on the value of that field.I had a workflow once that took a series of steps if a value was Yes and skipped them if it was No then proceeded with the same steps until finished.

Suggest an answer