I want to be able to view closed issues in the new plan mode

Murilo Guimaraes February 6, 2013

In the classic boards, we could filter open vs. closed issues so we could see both. In the new board, there is no way to view older, closed issues (even with the use of filters).

We would like to view closed issues in the new board to organize them into epics appropriately.

15 answers

1 accepted

7 votes
Answer accepted
Murilo Guimaraes February 6, 2013

Actually, I was able to get this working after all.

You just have to change the column layouts in the new board.

Click Agile > Manage Boards > Find the board and go to configure > Columns > Then put "Resolved" or "Closed" status in the first column.

This will make resolved issues reappear in the backlog!

In addition, to open closed epics and view them on the board, you'll want to search for the "Epic Status" field and set them from "Closed" to "To Do". This should show the closed epics on the new boards (then you can "Mark as Done" to get them out of the way again)

hitesh kumar dewangan April 20, 2018

is it possible to show old previous completed stories in the board ? Just a section to view completed items?

Like # people like this
Ste
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 8, 2019

^ In case anyone comes across this query, Murilo's query covers the stories also. You would need to move Done statuses out of the last column for this to work - not ideal if you want to see work flowing across the board.

I would advise using an alternative visualisation for "Done" stories - a Kanban Board for Done issues, a Dashboard, a simple Issue Filter or even - a Confluence page :)

Ste

Christopher Harris April 26, 2020

How do you find the first click in the steps "Agile > Manage Boards".  I can't find "Agile".  I can go into Project Settings under a Board.

Like # people like this
Rob Bone May 6, 2020

The solve above is out dated, I'm looking for the updated fix to this issue.

Like # people like this
9 votes
Soltész András October 23, 2019

There doesn't seem to be a way to view Done issues on the Scrum boards at all.

(a complete clusterfsck from Atlassian)

We work on atlassian.net and we have been migrated to the next gen boards.

Now, puff, important functionality is gone and we cannot view the completed issues on the Scrum boards.

The only way to view them is to go to a completely different view and search them in the issue list (ultra-slow and extra inconvenient)

I have no idea why Atlassian would remove such an important feature one-sidedly.

Sarosa Rosasa1234 February 20, 2023

I agree. It's important to see the done issues of a team. It creates a good feeling in the team and it is also a source of information of how to get things done. Additionally I wonder why the done column still exists when it's empty.

To create a new board doesn't make sense as we want to reduce the complexitity. 

I get the idea that this is not received well with users and that atlassian didn't think this one through or hasn't communicated the change well enough. 

8 votes
Al Rogers August 15, 2019

+1 Need an option to see closed items on the board. 

5 votes
Tito Rich August 19, 2018

Agree, need to see Closed issues on my board!

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 19, 2018

Boards have been completely rebuilt since this conversation ended 5 years ago.  If you want to see closed issues on your board now, you can.  Just configure it so that it does not hide them.,

Like Deleted user likes this
Brandon Yong September 13, 2018

Hi @Nic Brough -Adaptavist-are you able to elaborate how we can achieve this? I can't find a simple way to toggle it in the board settings. 

Are you referring to the board filter? Because I've attempted changing it to show all issues, this does not reflect on the board.. and it still shows only the open issues.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 13, 2018

Yes, a board will display what the filter says.

Bill Tanner November 15, 2018

Click "Board" -> "Configure"

Make sure you are on the General tab on the left.

At the bottom of the screen, you will see "Hide completed issues older than"

Select "Show All"

kanban board.PNG

Zhou December 17, 2018

Hello, in Next Gen projects, are these options available?

I can't find them.

BR,

Zhou

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 17, 2018

No, those boards are totally different.

Zhenshan Jin December 17, 2018

Hi,

This is really frustrating. After I finish the sprint, I can't find out the completed issues anymore. Looks like the Next Gen project introduces some unstability to the board.

Like # people like this
Karl Mathias Moberg January 22, 2019

So how can I find archived issues in a next-gen board? It can be extremely useful to find older tasks for documentation purposes...

Like # people like this
Zhenshan Jin January 22, 2019

Screenshot from 2019-01-22 14-03-37.pngthe magnifier icon in the left hand of the dashboard will do the trick @Karl Mathias Moberg

Like # people like this
Marissa Paras February 1, 2019

Hello, I am trying to follow the instructions for this topic -- I wanted to remove the filter on closed tickets the portions  "Kanban board sub-filter" and "Hide completed issues older than..."  are not available in my Jira cloud version.  Could someone help?

Viewing closed tickets.PNG

Like # people like this
2 votes
Greg Pounds January 24, 2019

The only way I've found to see completed tasks/issues on a next gen board is to create a new state beyond the complete state and just never put an issue in there.  Yes this is a complete hack and yes Atlassian should fix this because tasks / issues just disappear and it looks like a bug.

You can also go to roadmap, click on the epic/sprint and then see the tasks in it but then why go to the board.

If Atlassian thinks completed tasks should be removed from the board they should have a setting "Remove completed tasks from the board yes/no".  I would bet it is never set to yes because why have a completed column if things just get deleted from it.

Mannat Saini March 27, 2019

ignore the comment

Soltész András October 23, 2019

Yes, this design decision is a complete catastrophe from Atlassian.

They should NEVER decide such important features without their customers and they should make all important facets configurable.

Like # people like this
1 vote
borgdrone7 November 15, 2020

We also cannot show Done issues in the Done column in the "next-gen" version (this sentence speaks for itself on how next generation is the next-gen). Although Jira is much better than GitLab projects, this alone made us switch to GitLab. It's really pity but they basically ruined their product completely with this decision. For our team it is literary unusable now so we don't use it anymore. I really miss all the good features Jira has and will check occasionally if they fixed this issue. 

Today, once again, I tried to show Done issues in Done column (silly me) but after 45 minutes of mindless scanning through countless preferences I gave up again. Will try again in couple of months.

Who ever came up with this "feature", please divulge us your reasoning so we can learn something new and try to accept this state of the reality easier.

Thanks

1 vote
Paul Green June 28, 2020

A slight variation on David Stein Design above using Filters

On the main 'Queue' page select 'All Open'

click on the elipsis top right and select 'Edit Queue'

Then in the 'Filter' Row click the third dropdown currently labelled 'Unresolved'

You can then select some or all of the status options to display on your board.

Too a long time to get to this and the resolved issues are then permanently displayed which you may not want but got there

1 vote
David Stein Design May 18, 2020

Not a great fix, but I was able to get something to display tickets marked as done by using Filters.

I selected Filters > Advance Issue Search, then entered criteria to show tickets marked as "Done" for the project I wanted, and then clicked the gray "Save As" and then named the Search and now it shows up as a starred option under my Filters menu tab.

David Stein Design May 18, 2020

I have Projects set up for each of my clients... i guess I'll have to create a Filter for each one as well? Super clunky.

Not sure why this functionality isn't available in the default Projects view.

1 vote

Really disappointing basic features like this are not available or so confusing they are not available.

1 vote
Laurens Van Lieshout August 28, 2019

Same issue here. 

My current 'hack' to reopen or revisit closed tickets: change the URL to open the ticket directly. Strange thing is: there is a fully developed layout for closed tickets and a default flow to reopen them (stating why and to which state you want to reopen).

1 vote
Mannat Saini March 27, 2019

@[deleted]team, any update on this issue for the next gen projects? All the closed items are appearing in my back log.

0 votes
Aravindan Krishnan May 4, 2021

1. Select Project.

2. Go to Structure in the list on the left side list of icons

3. Click on JQL - it will open a drop down

4. Select current project issues.

5. This will show ALL project issues whether active or closed.

0 votes

@Bill Tanner Thanks for your post, unfortunately I can't even find "Board" in order to do "Click "Board" -> "Configure""

I have "project settings" under a Jira board.

@Murilo Guimaraes , unfortunately I can't find the first click in the solution steps "Click Agile > Manage Boards >".  I can't find where to click "Agile".

Aravindan Krishnan May 4, 2021

1. Find Board button on right top of screen. it lies next to Complete Sprint and Test View buttons.

2. Click on Boards and then from drop down select Configure.

3. Now Add a column to show a new buck to park issues. example - 'On Hold'

0 votes
danielflippance December 10, 2019

The best way I've found to see completed issues and those in previous sprints is to go to the Sprint Burndown Chart and use the Sprint dropdown to select a previous sprint.

0 votes
AhmadDanial
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 6, 2013

Hey there, Murilo.

As far as I am concerned, you are not able to view Closed issues in the Rapid Board unlike the Classic Boards. Perhaps this can be considered as a feature request in the future release of GreenHopper. It is the expected behavior for now as the board is catered to show issues that are not in the Closed status (Backlog, Sprint).

Warm regards,

Danial

Suggest an answer