I want to add new user directory with different username but shadow internal directory users

Stavros Michael
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 1, 2015

Hi all,

My question is related to users and directories and I am not sure if this is possible to be done. Currently we have users in the JIRA Internal Directory. Usernames are in the form firstname.lastname

We would like to enable a new directory with delegated LDAP authentication from our corporate active directory. New directory is configured and I am able to log in as my Active Directory account. But the problem is that under corporate active directory username are in the form FirstnameLastname - without the dot in the middle.

With the new configuration I have two active accounts in JIRA and I would like to tranfer all permissions/groups and activity from internal directory user to lapd user. As the usernames are not the same JIRA is not handle the one user as shadow to other user.

How is this possible to be done? Any directions to where I should look or what needs to be done?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Stavros Michael
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 8, 2015

Rename user to a username that belongs to the new directory and it will work (ScriptI use)

0 votes
crf
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 2, 2015

You cannot take your user accounts from one directory but your group memberships from a different one. In order to keep your permission stable, you will need to add the groups and memberships from your internal directory to the LDAP directory.

To make the shadowing work, you would first need to rename all of the internal directory users so that the usernames will match what is in LDAP before you create the LDAP directory and allow it to create its own users with those names.

Additionally, the ability to rename users did not exist prior to 6.0, so you would first need to upgrade if you are on an earlier version.

It also sounds like you already enabled LDAP with the mismatched usernames.  If so, it is going to be very difficult to sort things out and you are probably best off restoring from a backup and doing things the right way from there. Major changes to system configuration like this should always be validated in a test environment before you put your data at risk.

Suggest an answer