I want to Update "Department Name" and Job description in user profile automatically.

Venkata April 20, 2021

I have a changes in my Jira cloud.
1) I have a 300 users in my Jir cloud, I need to update "Department Name" and "EMP ID"(DLT230) for all the existing users and new users automatically in user profiles.
2)If I get the Department name , need to list out all the employees based on department name in JQL.

1 answer

0 votes
Darryl Lee
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 21, 2021

1) The Jira REST API does allow for setting user properties that are only visible/usable (in Automation, for example) in Jira. Here's an example on Server:

And some information on doing it with Automation:

However, if you want to update the properties that appear in the User Directory (pictured below), that's a different API that uses different keys: https://developer.atlassian.com/cloud/admin/user-provisioning/rest/api-group-users/

Screen Shot 2021-04-21 at 11.54.57 AM.png

(I think those are categorized as "legacy User properties")

2) Unfortunately JQL does not have access to either of these types of user properties. There are a feature requests related to this:

Darryl Lee
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 21, 2021

My mistake. Legacy User properties are those that can be managed in the User details screen, as described here:

Update roles and properties for Jira users 

Suggest an answer