I've just change workflow. Now my issues don't appear in the board - current sprint or backlog?

Tom Parke December 18, 2017

I've just changed a projects workflow from the very simple 3 state workflow to the default 5 state workflow.

Now on the project's sprints or backlog only 1 issue shows up.

If I look at the Open issues (same state in both workflows) I can see all the old open issues, including several in the current sprint - but they don't show up in the sprint view. How do I get them back?

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 18, 2017

You need to remap the status from the new workflow into the columns.

Go to the board, then board config then columns.

Thanks, thats done it.

As the workflow update included prompting to map old states to new, you'd think it could prompt to map the new states onto the sprint board columns too.

But not only did the issues not show up on the current sprint screen, the issues did't show up in the backlog either which is not structured in columns. Thats a dumb bit of design.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 18, 2017

There's a bit of a disconnect between Jira Software (Boards) and the Core Jira (where you changed the workflow).  The workflow in Jira doesn't care how it's been mapped in the boards, and it's actually a bit of a nightmare to even do the simple "warn people about specific boards when status is changed".

Issues not appearing because they're not in columns is deliberate, and right - it's counter-intuitive at best, and nonsense at worst to have something appear in your backlog which then won't be able to appear on your board when you start the sprint.

Thanks for the response! I see the problem (issues in backlog disappearing on the sprint board) but therefore making them disappear is not the only, or necessarily the best solution! Might have been the easiest though ;-)

Robert Kneip November 14, 2021

Yeah nice catch!! That was OH SH@# Moment for sure. Now that I see the logic it does make sense. But I agree a pop up window of some sorts to instruct you would be nice. I almost rebuilt all of the EPICS and Sprints in the entire Backlog!!

You still see everything in the filters and on the Plans and Roadmap however so its an indication you didn't lose everything.

Suggest an answer