I've installed JIRA Suite Utilities to our On-Demand instance. How do I use it? I can't find it anywhere!

James Mears July 21, 2014

Seriously. I realise this probably makes me look very stupid.

I installed the add-on successfully. I check it in Add-Ons and it is enabled. I have re-indexed the instance. Now I cannot find how to use the Suite at all!

Thanks for any help.

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 21, 2014

The suite adds functions in standard places. You'll find certain lists of things you can select from when configuring the system have got longer.

I'm not sure what you're expecting the answer to "how do I use it" to be. You should only install plugins to add functionality that you are missing, so to install a plugin, you generally already know what you're trying to add and have hence selected a plugin to try to do it.

There's loads of functions this thing adds, so I can't really answer without knowing why you added it! What are you wanting it to do?

Thank you Nic for getting back to me so quickly.

Yes you're right more detail might help! I'm specifically looking for the functionality to add the "Field Required" workflow validator. Trying to make the fields "log time" and "resolution" as required when closing an issue (in the relevant "resolve issue" transition screen) without making those fields either visible or required on other transition screens.

I cannot see any extra options that would allow this but I'm sure I'm not looking in the right place.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 21, 2014

Ok, validators, yep. The addon adds more validators to the list of ones you can select.

You need to edit the workflow to add validators to transitions. Once you're in the edit-transition screen, you'll find three tabs - conditions, validators and post-functions, all of which have an "add" option. When you use that, the next screen will be asking you "what *type* of validator do you want" and giving you a list of many options. You should find that the addon has added several to this list, including "check if field is filled in"

By the way though, you don't need to bother with "resolution". If you put it on a transition screen, it will get set to something no matter what.

That works perfectly. I knew I wasn't looking in the right place!

Yes I can now see all the relevant tabs and the new options regarding validators. Tested it, works as hoped for. And yes indeed Resolution is set to at least something by default so I'll only do this for Log Work. Which by the way is called Time Spent in this case, bit weird, but it seems to do exactly the same thing to the time estimates as Log Work, so whatever.

Thank you very much for your speedy and super helpful responses.

Martijn Verhoeven February 28, 2016

@Adaptavist I followed your instruction to the letter but I do not see anything other then the three default options. What am I missing? We're on Jira Cloud.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 28, 2016

If you've enabled the add-on in cloud, then you will have more than three options.  You'll need explain what you've done in full here.

Martijn Verhoeven February 28, 2016

That is a good point.....enabling it. Thanks I did not know that needed to be done. Only instaled add-ons so far which then automatically are enabled. Thanks!

Suggest an answer