• Community
  • Products
  • Jira Software
  • Questions
  • I've created a new issue type in my JIRA staging environment. However, when I fill out and submit this new issue type, it gives me an error on required fields that are for a different issue type. Why and how to fix?

I've created a new issue type in my JIRA staging environment. However, when I fill out and submit this new issue type, it gives me an error on required fields that are for a different issue type. Why and how to fix?

Michael Hendrix July 1, 2015

I've created a new issue type in my JIRA staging environment (let's call it BLUE). However, when I fill out and submit BLUE, it gives me an error on required fields that are for a different issue type (let's call it RED).

For example, RED would have "name" as a required field but BLUE wouldn't have the field "name" at all. However, when I submit BLUE it will say "name is required."

Why and how to fix?

6 answers

0 votes
Michael Hendrix July 2, 2015

Sorry for the confusion. I thought I was investigating screens until I found out "summary" and "description" are mandatory fields in JIRA that are not in field configuration. So, whether or not you display the field or not on your screen is irrelevant it seems; it will give an error because it's a mandatory field in JIRA that's not adjustable in field configurations.

See discussion here: https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/154651

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 2, 2015

Not quite. Description can be made optional (in fact, it's optional by default - someone must have made it mandatory in your field config). Spot on with summary though - it has to be filled, at all times.

0 votes
Nicolas Bourdages
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 2, 2015

You seem to be talking about 2 different things. The fact that the screens display the fields or not, that's configured in Screen Configuration.

Whether or not the fields are optional or mandatory, displayed or not, is in Field Configurations.

Make sure you're really investigating field configurations and not just screen configurations

0 votes
Michael Hendrix July 2, 2015

Found the issue. "Summary" and "Description" are still mandatory for any issue type, whether I add it to my screen or not. That's what I read from comments in 2013. Is that still the case? I have no need for them; it's has to be a way around that...

0 votes
Michael Hendrix July 1, 2015

I've confirmed that field configurations isn't the problem. Everything is associated properly. 

I'll look into the transition and validator.  Thanks everyone.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 1, 2015

It sounds like BLUE is using the same field configuration as RED.

Check that the field configuration scheme in the project points BLUE to a field configuration with optional fields and RED to a separate scheme with the mandatory fields.

0 votes
Nicolas Bourdages
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 1, 2015

If you set up the Field Configuration Scheme of your project so that the Field Config used by the BLUE issue type doesn't have the "name" field as mandatory, I can think of another solution.

Have you looked at the workflow transition? In the Create transition, there might be a validator that checks that "name" has to be filled. 

Suggest an answer