I use JIRA 6.3.1, if I upgrade to JIRA 7, can I switch to JIRA Software at no additional license costs?

Michael Schloemp October 8, 2015

So the question is do I get more for my existing licenses?

2 answers

3 votes
Darline Auguste
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
October 9, 2015

Hey there @Michael Schloemp and @Christian Czaia, @Frederic de Bovee is correct: if you're under active software maintenance, you're welcome to upgrade to JIRA 7 at no additional cost. Apologies for any confusion and I've linked upgrade instructions for you here.

At the time of your JIRA license renewal, you will indeed be quoted for a JIRA Software renewal and can contact us should you wish to use JIRA Core instead. 

We have also rebranded our Git solutions under the Bitbucket name which is why you've seen the change from Stash to Bitbucket Server. Please find more information on this for you here.

1 vote
Christian Czaia _Decadis AG_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 8, 2015

Sorry for any confusion. Please see Darline's response.

How JIRA Software licenses work

The new JIRA Software application includes heaps of features like boards, sprints, and reports that are included for free with your existing JIRA license. If it's possible for your organization, we recommend upgrading to JIRA Software as soon as possible so you can take advantage of them - they'll be provided by your current license.

If you renew or upgrade your current JIRA license after JIRA Software is released, you'll receive a JIRA Software license (not a JIRA license). You can receive maintenance and support for your existing JIRA application under a valid JIRA Software license until you're ready to update the version of software you're using. Your bill will reflect the pricing for JIRA Software, even if you haven't updated your application. For information about the compatibility between licenses and JIRA applications, see the JIRA license compatibility matrix.

FredericB October 8, 2015

Hi christian, 

Could you please details this information ?

Due to :

https://confluence.atlassian.com/migration/jira-7/jira-license-compatibility-matrix

It seems to me the JIRA 6.x licences are enough to get JIRA software.

Only at renewal you will have to choose either JIRA core only or JIRA core+ software (And pay for it)

If it is not the case, there is a mistake on this document.

Michael Schloemp October 8, 2015

This is indeed very confusing. And what i with Stash. I just saw that our Stash licences were switched to Bitbucket lincences. What does that mean for us?

Christian Czaia _Decadis AG_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 8, 2015

Nothing really as far as I know. Stays has just been rebranded to Bitbucket server

FredericB October 8, 2015

What makes no sense is the loss of functionalities from 6.4 to 7 core. I have software development projects but no use of Agile and don't have JIRA agile licence. Without the software licence, I will loose the features 'Development tool integration' (I use fisheye) and the release hub which are part of JIRA 6.x. (I tested it on a eval server and you need a 'software project' for that.) If it is the case it is a no go for JIRA 7.

Suggest an answer