I need transition condition that checks the value of a field

Corey_Young August 8, 2012

How can I setup a transition so that it is only visible if a field in the issue contains a specific value?

Here is the use case:

I am scrubbing bugs for my team. When I assign the bug to a developer, I will check a box that indicates the fix will need review by an authorized code reviewer. The check box value would be Yes and its value would go into the Needs Review field.

Then, later in the workflow, once the developer has fixed the bug, they will click the Fixed transition button. Then, much like the example presented in the documentation regarding the Previous Status Condition, I want to transition to either an In Review state or an In Testing state.

I would have two transitions for this, each having a name of Fixed, but having a condition that shows the transition if the Needs Review field is set to Yes or not.

Thanks.

-Corey

8 answers

1 vote
LucasA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 14, 2012

Hi,

This issue needs a better look at the actual workflow. Please raise a support ticket at https://support.atlassian.com

0 votes
Liam Maeder May 31, 2019

Hi All

I'm not sure if these are available for the other JIRA versions, JIRA Server has these options that may help.

There is a condition that does Field Value checks:

Value Field Condition.PNG

Another option is to use the validator for Regular Expression which allows for you to search for values, e.g: If I want to look for a value of Blue in a field, I can specify which field it must search and use the RegEx: (?i)(Blue).*

This will check if that field has that value:

Value Field RegEx Validator.PNG

I hope this helps

0 votes
Bernd Lauert September 6, 2018

Can be done with the FREE Workflow Enhancer Plugin -> Universal Condition

Robin Loose September 15, 2018

Perfect! Exactly what I needed... and it´s a free plugin - so it is the best for our non-profit-organization... thanks a lot!

Diane Roberts September 30, 2018

Are there any options if you use Jira Cloud?

0 votes
Alex Perez
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 19, 2013

Jira Suite Utilites have a condition to check a value field, and it seems to be preinstalled in OnDemand instances ...

0 votes
Alex Perez
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 19, 2013

My mistake,

Jira Misc Workflow extensions provides the capability to check a field value, but is implemented as Validator, not as Condition .. so, you can't hide the transition depending on the field value. But you can create two separate transitions and Validate them with this plugin ...

sorry.

0 votes
Alex Perez
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 18, 2013

Lars:

The marketplace page of this plugin, states that it's free and is pre-installed in onDemand instances, can you check if you have it installed?

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.innovalog.jmwe.jira-misc-workflow-extensions

Lars Corneliussen June 19, 2013

hm, seems to be installed. but where is the field value condition?

• Complete Session ConditionCondition that prevents the transaction if there are incomplete Bonfire test sessions related to this issue.
  • Hide transitionCondition to hide a transition from the user (the transition can be triggered only programmatically or from a workflow function).
  • Only Assignee ConditionCondition to allow only the assignee to execute a transition.
  • Only Bamboo Notifications Workflow ConditionOnly makes this transition available to the Bamboo build notifications.
  • Only Reporter ConditionCondition to allow only the reporter to execute a transition.
  • Permission ConditionCondition to allow only users with a certain permission to execute a transition.
  • Previous Status ConditionCondition on the previous status of an Issue.
  • Separation of Duties ConditionCondition to prevent a user to perform a transition when he has already performed another.
  • Sub-Task Blocking ConditionCondition to block parent issue transition depending on sub-task status.
  • User Is In GroupCondition to allow only users in a given group to execute a transition.
  • User Is In Group Custom FieldCondition to allow only users in a custom field-specified group to execute a transition.
  • User Is In Project RoleCondition to allow only users in a given project role to execute a transition.
0 votes
Lars Corneliussen June 18, 2013

But it is not available in Jira OnDemand :(

tried to delete; doesn't work :(

added a comment to Jason Brisons answer instead.

0 votes
Jason Brison
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 14, 2012

No need to contact Atlassian. You're looking for the JIRA Misc Workflow Extensions Plugin. This will add a field value = ?? condition option for your workflows that you can use. If it's not met, the transition will not show :)

But it is not available in Jira OnDemand :(

Bernd Lauert September 6, 2018

Stop suggesting costly plugins

Like # people like this
Elliot Gates March 12, 2019

@Bernd Lauert agree. Nothing is more frustrating than looking for an answer and someone flogging their home-made plugin they're trying to sell.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer