• Community
  • Products
  • Jira Software
  • Questions
  • I need to update the issue assignee in the Jira database .We updated most of the assignees using soap call , some issues are not changed , though we have edit permission and modify reporter permission

I need to update the issue assignee in the Jira database .We updated most of the assignees using soap call , some issues are not changed , though we have edit permission and modify reporter permission

Srividhya July 29, 2012

Basically the jira-administartor has all the rights in the permission scheme.But still , though we update via a soap call , its not been changed and says we dont have enough permission to edit the issue.This occurs in very few issues.The issues in the same project and same issuetype are changed for some issues and not for some issues.May I know the reason why this happens? and is there is a way to change directly in the data base.

Thanks,

Srividhya

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 29, 2012

First, no, avoid editing the database - it's a last resort because you need to stop Jira, get a proven backup, run the SQL, restart it, reindex and then test it very carefully. You can destroy a Jira by hacking it's database.

If the issues that aren't changing are in the same project and there's a pattern in the issue type (e.g. they're all bugs failing, while improvements and features are fine), then you can be almost certain that there's a permissions or configuration tied to that causing the problem.

You've spoken about permissions already, but the important thing here is that SOAP respects the permissions. Log in as the user that SOAP is using and see if you get the right to change assignee in the UI. I suspect you'll find you don't, and the usual cause of that is permissions.

However, permissions are project level and you've said only some issue types, so I suspect SOAP is not giving you quite the full story. I would also check the EDIT screen to make sure that the assignee field is on the screen - if it's not, SOAP may be dropping it too. On top of that, check the field-configuration for the project - if the assignee is hidden in there, SOAP will be unable to set it, same as the interactive user...

Also, bear in mind that permissions can be dynamic - you can do things like "only reporter can assign the issue". SOAP respects all of those.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 29, 2012

Depends on the permissions the reporter has to assign (or be assigned?) the issue.

Ok, so assignee is on screen in the Edit screen, but does it appear for the user that you are running the SOAP stuff as? Do they get the "assign to" link too? Is it definitely an update and not a transition? Have you checked the field configurations for that issue type?

I don't think there's any point in fixing the data in the database here - the fact is your config is blocking this somewhere, and you need to fix that in the long term.

Srividhya July 29, 2012

Will reporter come into picture while changing the assignee? BEcause Assignee is present in the Edit Screen . I know that updating database is not advisable , I am looking for a solutionto fix this

Suggest an answer