I need to see the status of a long list of issues on a specific date back in time. with Jql.

Thomas Harborg February 17, 2021

I'm building a burn-up diagram and i need to extract some data for this. Basically i need to see what the status was for a list of issues by a specific date.

I have tried to use the expression below in jql advanced search:

Issuekey in (long list of numbers) AND status was in (Backlog, Done,Resolved,"To Do","In Progress",Review ) ON ('2021/02/15') this doesn't return the status at the specific date but what the status is right now.

Have anyone one on here found a work around for this?  

4 answers

0 votes
Emre Toptancı _OBSS_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 21, 2021

Hello @Thomas Harborg ,

As others have pointed it out, Jira does not give you this information directly. JQL can only filter issues. The search page can't show data other than issue fields.

Our team at OBSS built Time in Status app for similar needs. Its date reports might help you with that. TiS is available for Jira Server, Cloud and Data Center.

Mainly, Time in Status allows you to see how much time each issue spent on each status or assigned to each assignee. It also has 4 types of date reports that show first/last issue transition dates for each issue. Below is a sample screenshot for these reports.

tisCloud_FirstTransitionToStatusDate_Report.png

The app calculates its reports using already existing Jira issue histories so when you install the app, you don't need to add anything to your issue workflows and you can get reports on your past issues as well.

TiS also has History Trim feature. This feature allows you to set a date window for your issues so TiS will simply exclude all changes in history that are outside the given window. In your question you said you wanted to see issue statuses at a given past date. If you set this date as the end date for History Trim, TiS will ignore events after that date and in a date report like shown above, you will see status dates only for actions before the given date. 

Using Time in Status you can:

• See how much time each issue spent on each status, assignee, user group and also see dates of status transitions.
  • Calculate averages and sums of those durations grouped by issue fields you select. (For example see average InProgress time per project and per issuetype.)
  • Export your data as XLS, XLSX or CSV.
  • Access data via REST API. (for integrations)
  • Visualize data with various chart types.
  • See Time in Status reports on Jira Dashboard gadgets (released for cloud, server&DC gadget coming soon)

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/1211756

EmreT

0 votes
Bloompeak Support
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
February 20, 2021

Hi @Thomas Harborg ,

It is not possible out of the box within Jira. There are marketplace apps for this exact need. One of the solutions from the Atlassian marketplace is Status Time app developed by our team. It provides reports on how much time passed in each status as well as status entry dates and status transition count.

Once you enter your working calendar into the app, it takes your working schedule into account too. That is, "In Progress" time of an issue opened on Friday at 5 PM and closed on Monday at 9 AM, will be a few hours rather than 3 days. It has various other reports like assignee time, status entry dates, average/sum reports(eg. average in progress time per project).

Here is the online demo link, you can see it in action and try.

If you are looking for a free solution, you can try the limited version Status Time Free. Hope it helps.

0 votes
mogavenasan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 17, 2021

Hi @Thomas Harborg,

A JQL search is not going to return you what was the issue status during some period of time.

A JQL search will return the issues matches the condition and will show you the current issue data (which is the current issue status).

I hope that this helps.

Thanks,
Moga

Zoryana Bohutska _SaaSJet_
Marketplace Partner
February 23, 2021

Hi @Thomas Harborg 

Yes, @mogavenasan is right. To get data about when the issue was in each status, you need to consider a solution from Atlassian Marketplace.

For example, Issue History - lets you view the time and date any issue field was changed (including status changes). 

2021-02-23_18-42-26.pngTime in status for Jira Cloud by SaaSJet - allows you to monitor time in each status and date of the first entrance to statuses.

I hope you will find the best solution for yourself.

Regards

0 votes
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 17, 2021

@Thomas Harborg 

Welcome to community.

I believe you need to use something like status WAS "Open" DURING ("2021/01/27","2021/01/28")

Thomas Harborg February 17, 2021

It's right that this will return the right list of issues, but the values in the status field is the most recent status and not "Open" as you would assume in the example above because we look back in time. 

Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 17, 2021

Yes the filter will only display the current status, sorry misunderstood the issue. You would have to pull the lists one by one and then update the status in the CSV and then combine the information to get the information you need.  

Suggest an answer