I need to run Jenkins build from JIRA webhooks

Jana Kethamreddy March 16, 2015

run jenkins build from JIRA ,i did provide Name: temp name, url: jenkin url http://xxxxxx:8080 and all issues events

but not sure how it works please provide steps to integrate and run builds

2 answers

3 votes
Wisen Tanasa February 15, 2016

I have published a Jenkins plugin that consumes JIRA webhooks to trigger Jenkins builds. It is published via Jenkins official plugin center. You can check what features it is currently supporting and the setup steps here: jira-trigger-plugin.

Viorel Mirea February 24, 2016

2016-02-24 18_42_52-WebHooks - JIRA.png

Viorel Mirea February 24, 2016

Hi Wisen, I am trying to configure the plugin now and I found out that the sample url on 8080 you used on summary is not allowed as a webhook. only 80 and 443 are allowed.

Wisen Tanasa February 24, 2016

@Viorel Mirea I believe this port restriction is only applicable when you are on JIRA Cloud. So unfortunately you have to configure your Jenkins server to use 80 or 443.

1 vote
Joe Clark
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 16, 2015

The format of the HTTP request generated by a JIRA webhook and the format of a HTTP request expected by Jenkins to initiate a build will very likely have a lot of differences.  Therefore, you cannot send the webhook directly from JIRA to Jenkins.  You would need to develop an intermediary service that listens for JIRA webhooks and generates subsequent requests to Jenkins.

I had a look around online and it seems that someone has built a Jenkins plugin to do this: https://github.com/ivanoronee/jenkins-jira-builder

Jana Kethamreddy March 16, 2015

I did open link above it has src/main -- enable building of all project types that are buildable gitignore added code for job quering and matching license initial commit readme.md initial commit pom.xml added code for job quesring and matching but dont know what code need to copy and where to place that code can you please let me know steps how i can use this to run builds from jira

Joe Clark
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 16, 2015

It's not my code, so I'm not sure how it works. It looks like a Jenkins plugin that you will need to compile and install in Jenkins.

Suggest an answer