I need to prevent user from creating sub-task

Suzanne Seaton December 29, 2014

We used to use sub-tasks but have decided against using them anymore. I moved about 5,000 sub-tasks to one sub-task named simply "sub-task". The reason why is because you cannot bulk change a sub-task to be an issue. So I am stuck with one "sub-task" within my issue type scheme. My question is this: is there a way to allow sub-tasks (I don't want to manually move them to be issues) but prevent users from creating new ones? I have about 300 users and they are very difficult to train. Thanks!

4 answers

0 votes
Oleksii Gnatkevych October 12, 2015

In the sub-task workflow in the Create Issue transition put a custom script validator (using Script Runner plugin):

import com.opensymphony.workflow.InvalidInputException
invalidInputException = new InvalidInputException("Subtasks cannot be created manually.")

Problem is that it will complain after user pressing 'Create' button, not before.

0 votes
Boris Berenberg
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 29, 2014

There are some great suggestions from the user community around moving those sub tasks into issues: https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/37825

If you can get this working then you can just disable sub-tasks natively.

0 votes
Suzanne Seaton December 29, 2014

I should say I am looking for something within the workflow that would prevent users from creating sub-taaks.

0 votes
Bhushan Nagaraj
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 29, 2014

Hey Suzanne,

You can remove any subtask issue types from your issue type configuration scheme.

Suggest an answer