I need to merge two JIRA Software cloud instances.

Sharon Connell July 11, 2017

A sister company has a cloud instance of JIRA Software cloud that needs to be merged with a more established JIRA Software cloud instance. Is this possible? What is the best way to accomplish?

1 answer

0 votes
Nicholas Bentley July 11, 2017

Hey Sharon!

I was able to find this KB article that may be of use to you. From a quick scan over it, it looks like they have you set up a local JIRA instance to import projects from both JIRA Cloud instances into the local instance, and then back up to one of the cloud instances.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirakb/how-to-merge-two-different-jira-cloud-applications-together-779160767.html

It doesn't look like merging Cloud instances is fully supported, but based on this article it seems you're not the only person with this issue. Hope I could be of assistance!

Sharon Connell July 13, 2017

Hi Nicolas,

Thanks for your time and the article. It is not supported, but I think this is a workable solution. I will let you know if there are any snags.

Eddie Madera October 16, 2018

Hi Sharon,

How did this work out for you? We currently have two cloud instances that we would like consolidate into one.

Sharon Connell October 17, 2018

Hi Eddie,

It did not work out at all. I used a test instance and all data was overwritten. I went back to the customer and they agreed to only have current work come over. I was able to create a .csv export and successfully import issues. This was not ideal but as the teams were adapting to new practices it was not seen as a problem. I did a lot of manual work that probably someone with more experience would have been able to do more easily. 

Suggest an answer