I need to import users into Jira cloud from a CSV file. Does someone know how it can be done?

anoja sahoo October 2, 2017

I want to move users from Jira server to jira cloud. The users from Jira server have been exported to a csv file and it has the following heading.

"Full name","Username","Login details","Group name","Applications","Directory","Is Active","Email Address","Last Login" 

How do I import this list of users into Jira cloud?

2 answers

1 vote
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 2, 2017

Hi Anoja,

This will depend on your exact Cloud instance and you will need to provide the files to our Cloud Support Team.

I recommend that you follow the formats exactly as they are listed here:

Importing users from CSV Files - see specifically the two example files under Preparing your files

Submit this as a ticket to our Cloud team, and they will be able to let you know whether or not your instance is eligible for import and they can proceed with those files.

Let us know if you have any questions!

Kind Regards,
Shannon

anoja sahoo October 3, 2017

Thanks Shannon ! Is the Password column mandatory in the csv file? 

0 votes
Medhat Ahmed February 23, 2021

@Shannon S

the link you added had steps to the crowd directory server, not to the cloud site? please provide steps on how to import users into the Jira cloud?

Thanks,

Medhat

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 23, 2021

Medhat,

This question from 2017 doesn't apply now, but the article's CSV files worked for Server, Data Center, and Cloud.

If you're currently migrating from Server to Cloud, I recommend following our new migration process. If you get stuck or have any issues, we have a migration team that can help you out when you raise a ticket with Atlassian Support (select help with Migration Support).

Let me know if you have any trouble.

Shannon

Like Deleted user likes this
Medhat Ahmed February 24, 2021

Dear @Shannon S 

I have a new cloud implementation and want to know if it's possible to import 500 users from a CSV file instead of creating it one by one? I want to know if Atlassian support can help with that? what are CSV format details? should I sent the CSV to Atlassian support and they import the CSV file into the cloud site?

BR,

Medhat

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
February 24, 2021

Medhat,

The Atlassian Support team can certainly help you import your users. smile

To create the user data file, you can do something like this:

\copy (SELECT email_address AS "email", user_name AS "username", display_name AS "displayname" FROM cwd_user) to '/tmp/users.csv' csv header

The format of the user data file should be:

email, username, displayname

To create the groups (memberships) data file:

\copy (SELECT DISTINCT parent_name AS "groupname", child_name AS "username" FROM cwd_membership) to '/tmp/group_memberships.csv' csv header

The format for the groups data file should look like this:

groupname, username

I hope that helps, but if you have any doubts, contact the support team, and we can help walk you through it!

Take care,

Shannon

Note to Community members from the future: This information is subject to change depending on our import script. Contact support directly for requests like this so we can verify if anything has changed on our end.

Suggest an answer