I need to import comments to issue from external senders

vladimir May 8, 2014

Dear team, I have several projects, several emails accepting issues for JIRA based on task ID in subject line. I need however JIRA accepted such emails ALSO in cases when answer are sent from external emails, how to do it?

Many thanks

Vladimir

3 answers

0 votes
vladimir May 8, 2014

Hi, what I do often, I create task myself and I am awaiting answer from external person (simply somebody with email I am waiting to answer), I need when this person answer my email (provided he/she cc jira email and keeps task ID in subject line) his email is added to task comments as well.

Currently it works only with emails from JIRA users.

Handlers work perfectly, here is no problem, please advice.

Vladimir

0 votes
Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 8, 2014

Hi Vladimir,

The easiest solution is letting your mail handlers create an account automatically for each email adress that's not yet in JIRA, this will ofcourse use up licenses.

Another solution might be to use the JEMH plugin to handle your emails and let JEMH add the newly created users to a jira group that doesn't have the global JIRA User permission but does have permission to create issues/comments/attachments in your projects.

Best regards,

Peter

vladimir May 8, 2014

hi Peter, can you somehow explain in more details second option?

Vladimir

Peter Van de Voorde
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 8, 2014

Hi Vladimir,

In the JEMH plugin (https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.javahollic.jira.jemh-ui) you can create email handlers that can create users based on an email adres and then let them join certain groups (not the default groups like in the basic jira handlers).

So you could create a JEMH-users group that would contain all users created by JEMH and you could give these users the right to create issues, create comments and add attachments in your project without giving them login rights for JIRA (the jira-users global permission).

In this way they will not count towards your license (but they will ofcourse not be able to login to JIRA).

Best regards,

Peter

0 votes
MJ
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 8, 2014

Could you please clarify what you mean with "external emails"?
In order for comments to get added to existing issues, the mail addresses receiving messages have to get configured as mail server on your instance. From that point, you can have mail handlers perform several actions with received messages, among which comment creation.

If the messages are not being received by one of the mail addresses configured as mail server, and are not being processed by one of the handlers, it will not be possible to add comments to issues.

Please refer to this documentation for configuring JIRA to receive emails, and this page for processing such messages using mail handlers.

Suggest an answer