I need to be able to constrict the movement of a ticket across the JIRA Board

Khalid Chaudhry November 24, 2019

I have a requirement that a JIRA ticket should not be allowed to move from one swim-lane to another if the ticket has not been QA'ed.  If a user attempts to move a ticket that is waiting for QA the lane that the user drops the ticket should be blank, or after the user drags and drops the ticket, the ticket in question should revert to the lane it was dragged from.  What kind of configuration is available in JIRA to achieve this please?

Thanks in advance.

2 answers

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 24, 2019

As @Nir Haimov states you can certainly prevent status to status (column to column) moves. You mention swimlanes which are “rows”. If indeed you means swimlanes then you may or may not be able to achieve your goal depending on how your swimlanes are defined and it may or may not require an addon.

Khalid Chaudhry November 27, 2019

Jack thanks,  I do mean columns not rows, my question was a little clumsy. 

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 27, 2019

no worries. so do you need further help on this? I think what you are going to want to do here is to edit your workflow and not allow an issue to transition to Done without going thru the QA status first. That is, the only transition to done is thru QA. Now that might be too restrictive since there are times that an issue is 'cancelled'. Of course you could have a "Cancelled" or "Rejected" status if you wanted that has a status category of done.

0 votes
Nir Haimov
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 24, 2019

Hi,

What you are describing sound like what you want is to prevent ticket to move from, status to status on a certain condition.

So you can add "condition/validation" in the workflow

Suggest an answer