I need automatic time track a new issues.

M M January 17, 2013

Hi,

I need some function in Jira. When I create a new issues I want to enter time to repair this issue (for exemple 5 work day) and this time will be passed to the end. A developer should have an input into this time and react. How to solve this problem? Thx!

I try Automated Log Work and Tempo plugin but that is not what I need.

M M

8 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Natalie Hobson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 18, 2013

Why not just use "Due Date"? :)

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 18, 2013

I will just go with what Nat says. You are not doing estimation rather you are pre-fixing the deadline. In that case it is nothing but the due date that you are looking for.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 18, 2013

You'll need to write a plugin to do this, although it should not be massively hard. You could write a post-function or a listener for the first part (calculating the deadline date and posting it into a field), and a derived custom field for the second. Have a look at https://developer.atlassian.com/display/JIRADEV/JIRA+Plugin+Module+Types

I mentioned a script because you can use the script runner plugin to avoid writing most, if not all, of the above. You'll still need to do some coding - https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.onresolve.jira.groovy.groovyrunner

0 votes
M M January 18, 2013

Thanks Nic Brough!

Is exactly what I need. Could you give me some more instruction how to set this up? Maybe you known what script I should use? I'll be grateful for any information.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 18, 2013

Ok, that's deadline tracking, which is nothing to do with time-tracking really. Time tracking is about "I think it will take X, I have put Y hours in" and so-on - there's no time limits or ETAs on that, it's about tracking actual work done. For example, when a developer says "it'll take 3 days", what they usually mean is "it'll take 3 working days of coding time" When you accept that estimate, they could still take 3 weeks to deliver, because they only work on that item 1 day a week.

Deadline tracking is pretty much what the due date is for. It's irrelevant how much time the developer is going to spend on it, what matters is that it is done by then.

What I would do is a spot of coding (the script runner plugin can help you a bit). You want something that will set "due date" (or possibly another date/time field) when the estimate is entered. It should take the estimate, add it to date/time "now" and put that in due date. You'll need to consider actual working time in here - it's no good assuming that a developer can work 24 hours a day until it's done.

Additionally, you might want to write a custom field that displays "time between due date and now" and maybe displays the result in red if it's over due.

0 votes
M M January 17, 2013

Sorry for that. i was in a hurry:).

Here is my problem with using Jira now and it's "estimated time for issue repair" functionality.

When I input an estimated period of time to repair an issue, the amount of this time stays the same.
For example. When I put in 10 day period for issue repair. It will still be 10 days after 6, 7 or 10 days. The developer doesn't know how much time he has left, to resolve the issue. He just sees 10 days period to repair.

What I would like is an automatic function, that will start counting down this time. So the developer will know, that he has only 'x' days:hours to finish repairing this issue.

So when I input a new issue, with time to repair set to 5 days. This time will start counting down automaticaly. So after 4 days, the develporet will see, that he has only 1 day left to repair this issue.

I
hope this makes it a little bit more clear.

Thank You.

0 votes
M M January 17, 2013

Thank you for replay.

Here is my problem with using Jira now and it's "estimated time for issue repair" functionality. When I input an estimated period of time to repair an issue, the ammount of this time stays the same. For example. When I put in 10 day period for issue repair. It will still be 10 days after 6,7 or 10 days. The developer doesn't know how much time has left to resolve the issue. He just sees 10 days period to repair.
What I would like is an automatic function, that will start counting down this time. ...

0 votes
M M January 17, 2013

So the developer will know, that he has only 'x' days:hours to finish repairing this issue.

0 votes
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 17, 2013

Didn't understand what you meant by 'will be passed to the end' . Also 'developer should have an input into this time and react'

If possible can you re-word you question?

Suggest an answer