I need advice about searching for issues in multiple sprints

Jordan Barger August 21, 2017

I want to search for issues assigned to specific sprint (let's say sprint1), that are also assigned to any other sprints.

In JQL, sprint = sprint1 gives me the first part, but I can't seem to figure out any clever way to get the second.  Using sprint != sprint1 will just filter out all issues I wanted in the first place.  I know that if I specified which other sprints I wanted to see, it would work (sprint in (sprint1,sprint2,sprint3)), but I want to know if anyone has a method that would allow me to get the results without having to type out every possible other sprint?

I could see this also being useful for other fields like labels, but my current focus is on sprints.  Any tips or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

3 answers

0 votes
Steve Holota April 25, 2019

In case you did not get this answered yet, In a related search I was doing, i found this solution which helped me https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Search-for-issues-spanning-multiple-sprints/qaq-p/77814

Sprint in closedSprints() and (Sprint in openSprints() or Sprint in futureSprints()) and issuetype in standardIssueTypes()
Sarah Noor July 8, 2019

this will only show the tickets that are part of any closed sprint AND any current or future sprint, not the ones that were part of multiple closed sprints

Like # people like this
0 votes
Sandor Krisztian Andre January 31, 2018

How can an issue be in multiple sprints? That is not possible according to the documentation.

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 30, 2018

Hi...  The requestor appears to ask how to find issues which have carried over from one sprint to another.  That is, committed to in one sprint, not finished, and then committed to for another sprint.

As noted by others, it is possible to find a carried over issue which is also in a current or future sprint, but it is not possible to find one in multiple closed sprints, unless...

* you purchase an add-on product to Jira, enhancing the filter functions

* you export the data--e.g. to Excel--and then parse the information.

As carry-over is a typical team problem to monitor and improve, it is surprising this capability is still missing from Jira.  (Hopefully, it is a temporary problem for a team.)

Like Megan Schwind likes this
Luis Algenis Sánchez February 18, 2019

Hi Bill, Do you know if the community has been resolved this Question?

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 19, 2019

Hi Luis,

I seen no answers for JIRA other than to buy add-on products to enhance filtering functions.

Best regards,

Bill

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 21, 2017

If you are looking for a generic query, something like this could work.

sprint in openSprints()

closedSprints or futureSprints can also be used in place of openSprints.

You can also use

sprint is not EMPTY

and club it with other JQL clauses.

Jordan Barger August 22, 2017

Thanks for the reply! I tried using the open/closed/future before but found that I still don't quite get the solution I'm looking for in all cases.

If I want to find issues that are in sprint1 (a closed sprint) and also any open or future sprints, something like this will get the job done.

sprint = sprint1 AND sprint in (opensprints(),futuresprints())

However, if  I want to find issues that are in sprint1 (a closed sprint) and also any other closed sprints in addition so sprint1,

sprint = sprint1 AND sprint in closedsprints()

yeilds the same result as.

sprint = sprint1

I think I can use excel on some exported information to get my answer, I was just hoping to find a clever way to do it in JIRA.

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 22, 2017

Sorry, I am confused. Do you mean the following?

sprint = Sprint1 OR sprint in closedSprints()

Suggest an answer