I'm trying to find out how to give a client access to ONE project in Jira without seeing anything else that goes on.

Caleb Kingston December 30, 2015

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Assign users to groups, project roles, and applications

So, I just barely started my JIRA account and I'm learning how to use it. I created a project, updated my backlog, and created a sprint but now I want to know how to add my client as a user and restrict their access to only this one project. I've read a whole bunch of documentation on how to do this and I've tried about 5 different things but it still is not making sense to me. Can anyone help me with this?

2 answers

0 votes
Caleb Kingston January 4, 2016

Thanks Mauro. I read the article and tried to follow it. I see what it's trying to do but I still can't seem to get it working.

I went through the first pre steps but they seem vague. It says the article assumes that I:

1. Created the users in JIRA. 
  2. Populated these users into client-specific groups (i.e. all users from 'Company A' are grouped into the 'Client A' group) 
  3. Granted these groups JIRA access by adding the groups to JIRA Users global permission
  4. Removed Internal Project access to client-specific users by removing them from the default JIRA Users global permission. (i.e. removing jira-users group)

So what if I didn't do steps 2-4? I've spent a half hour trying to figure out where in settings I do this but it just doesn't make sense to me just starting with Jira. I think I may have figured out 3 but this just seems all hairy for just trying to give a client access to one project. Any other articles you could recommend to help me through these basic steps? I've already searched in the documentation myself.

Thanks again,

Caleb

0 votes
Mauro Badii
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 30, 2015

Hi Caleb,

I think this guide will help you achieve that smile

How to restrict project access to different isolated user groups

Cheers!

Suggest an answer