• Community
  • Products
  • Jira Software
  • Questions
  • I'm trying to figure out how to use time tracking. I followed the instructions in documentation, but when I click on "edit" for an issue I'm only given the option of "logging time" and I can't figure out how to "estimate time" as well?

I'm trying to figure out how to use time tracking. I followed the instructions in documentation, but when I click on "edit" for an issue I'm only given the option of "logging time" and I can't figure out how to "estimate time" as well?

Seth Frumkin September 2, 2016

1 answer

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 2, 2016

They're separate things that work together.

You've already found out how to log time, and there's not much more to it - you tell JIRA "I did x time on issue Y on  date Z"

Estimates look like 3 fields, but are only one really, one that is often placed on the "create issue" screen.  You'll need to check the project settings to make sure that the "time tracking" field is there, ideally on create and edit, and check the field configuration to ensure it's not hidden.  You'll then be able to enter estimates.

The "time tracking" field is not there.  How do I get it?

figured it out thanks

Suggest an answer