I'm thinking of switching to JIRA - would it be able to do ticketing (like RT)?

Andy Loughran February 8, 2012

I am looking at replacing our RT ticketing system with JIRA. I intend to use JIRA for both our SCRUM method development, as well as end-user support tickets (with end users emailing support@example.com) and that creating tickets in JIRA to be created.

I'd also like to know if each 'submitter' would could towards my user count?

Regards,

Andy Loughran

2 answers

0 votes

Thanks for this,

I'd have imagined that setting this up would be similar to how you describe. Do you have a more thorough explanation of how end-users are notified once the ticket is opened - or is that a manual process?

Andy

0 votes
Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 8, 2012

Yes

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 8, 2012

Otherwise you should disable createusers in the emali settings and specify defaultreporter. But this will then not allow the submitter to received updates as he/she wont be a Jira user.

Is JIRA then not designed to do this? We have fewer than 10 users in our organisation, but over 300 clients. It seems strange to have to purchase a JIRA instance for +300 users if there are only 10 of us.

Andy

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 8, 2012

Jira is indeed designed for this, but of course with license restrictions, as each customer is also an user for Jira.

Ivar
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 8, 2012

We use Jira for development and Helpdesk with a 50 user license for Jira. Each developer and Helpdesk have their license and ALL clients of Helpdesk is managed through 1 Jira user license. What we've done is to add some custom fields that pick the client e-mail and name from the incoming e-mail so we have this information ready. We then use a plugin to send information back to the users.

It works for us, but it is not an optimal solution. I would prefer that all clients had a Jira license, but the total cost disabled this option for us.

If the "integration" of issues between Helpdesk and development is a must for you, you can make it work. If not I would look at something else or get a bigger license.

Suggest an answer