I'm perfectly happy with my JIRA installation as it is currently configured. I don't need or want JIRA Software. What do I need to do?

Bill Coppedge October 6, 2015

3 answers

3 votes
Dave Meyer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 6, 2015

Hi Bill,

As Nic said, if you're not using JIRA Agile today, you can upgrade from JIRA to JIRA Core using your existing JIRA license. Just follow all the same upgrade proceedures but use the JIRA Core installer instead of the JIRA Software installer. Your existing JIRA license will be treated as a JIRA Software license, but users will be able to log in and use all JIRA Core functionality as if you had a JIRA Core license. When it comes time to renew your license, contact us and we will give you a one-time discount on a new JIRA Core license so it costs the same price as it would to renew your JIRA license.

Alternatively, if you are using JIRA Agile right now, just follow the instructions to upgrade to JIRA Software. It will look and feel pretty much the same.

Dave

1 vote
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 6, 2015

If you have the Agile add-on, nothing - JIRA Software is effectively (not quite, but close) to JIRA + Agile. 

If you don't have the Agile add-on, nothing, just continue to use JIRA Core.

Mohammed Khadir October 6, 2015

The problem I am seeing is that if I want to Upgrade JIRA, it is only giving me option to upgrade to JIRA Software and not JIRA core more users and also bumping up the price.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 6, 2015

Again, JIRA Software is JIRA + Agile. JIRA Core is just plain JIRA without Agile. So if you want to upgrade to just JIRA Core, you'll lose the Agile functions (Again, it's a bit more complex than that, the lines are a little blurred) The price has gone up a bit on a flat conversion, but the price of JIRA hasn't gone up much, if at all, over several releases. One option you now have on pricing is to reduce the number of users too - with JIRA + Agile, you needed the licence numbers to match. Now you can have 100 Core users and 25 Software(Agile) users, which could reduce the costs.

Mohammed Khadir October 6, 2015

The problem is that I dont use JIRA agile on this instance at all. I am using it for Issue tracking. At some point, it is going to become expensive and it will become as expensive as Rational Clearquest and I will have to find something else.

Eric Dalgliesh
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 6, 2015

Hi Mohammed, if you don't use the Software features (such as Agile and the Development tools panel), then JIRA Core is aimed at you. You can get that either by downloading JIRA Core directly (https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/core/update), or by downloading JIRA Software which includes JIRA Core (if you wish, you can then uninstalled the Software part of the application from the Versions and Licenses page). Your current JIRA 6 license is automatically treated as a JIRA Software license, but will work in both JIRA Core and JIRA Software. You will continue to be eligible for support and updates until maintenance expiry whether you are running Software or Core. If your maintenance reaches expiry and you want to move to a JIRA Core license, that is certainly possible; it will work in your Software installation but won't enable the Software features. In this case when you install your new Core license, you will need to manually uninstall the Software license.

Kathleen Mullen October 7, 2015

But if you stick with JIRA Core do you lose the SVN/FishEye integration capability?

Eric Dalgliesh
Atlassian Team
October 7, 2015

HI Kathleen, yes; the development tools integrations have been moved to JIRA Software.

RBR IT Department October 7, 2015

Do you lose the ability to have "fix versions" also? This appears to be the case, which makes Jira Core completely impossible for any kind of software development. I hope I'm wrong?

Justin Leader [HyperVelocity] October 7, 2015

@Samuel Marquis, no, fix versions is a native JIRA field.

Dave Meyer
Atlassian Team
October 7, 2015

That's correct, versions are still available in JIRA Core projects. However, in the future we will continue to optimize JIRA Software further for software development and JIRA Core for non-technical teams.

0 votes
GabrielleJ
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 6, 2015

Everybody is, but we are all going that way I guess. Read the blog here https://confluence.atlassian.com/migration/jira-7/cloud_jira+agile_product-changes

Suggest an answer