I'm not able to export excel spreadsheets anymore. Only Excel CSV is possible. Before I was able to export excel spreadsheets

Stefan ter Horst September 20, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Exporting Search Results to Microsoft Excel

Please find attached an example, where you would see that I'm not able to export excel spreadsheets anymore. I'm just able export CSV's

Screen Shot 2016-09-21 at 10.29.33.png

Thanks in advance

Stefan

6 answers

2 votes
Stefan ter Horst September 21, 2016

Not happy with this, now I'm asking for Excel, can we get back the excel export functionality? wink

But I don't understand why removing this feature which was working quite well and very easy to export? 

Now I need to do more steps and need to take risks with converting it from CSV to XLSX. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 21, 2016

I'm not sure why it was removed - the options are already in a menu, which means it's not like adding the CSV links would have cluttered a view any more.  I don't think anyone would have complained about two more appropriate items being added to a menu.  My best guess is just that Atlassian don't want to have to maintain the old excel code as well as CSV.  If I were the product owner, I'd have said "deprecate them and note that we won't be spending any more time on Excel, but leave them in for now"

0 votes
Mark Biro March 23, 2017

Hi there,

With add-on ImpEx you can import and export your issues to XLSX or HTML (even with comments, images and attachments)!

Feel free to give it a try: https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.moresimp.impex/server/overview 

Best regards, Mark

0 votes
Mike Thomas October 20, 2016

This change has broken certain routine procedures for me.  Tom Proctor's answer above held some promise, but now the HTML option is also missing from the selection choices.

A workaround for Tom's workaround is to use the Print List option instead which will bring up a static web page.  Right click in the browser window, Save Page As..., then Web Page (html only).  Open that file in Excel.  The formatting is better than csv (at least it retains column integrity) but not as good as the old way.

My next step is to set up a preformatted Excel template to make the regular reports look good.

Several steps to replace the deprecated feature.

0 votes
Aron Gombas _Midori_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 22, 2016

You may have heard that Microsoft recently made a security update in MS Excel, which disallowed opening the "Excel exports" generated by JIRA anymore. I'm using quotation marks, because in fact, the Excel files that JIRA generated were HTML files with the ".xls" file extension, that were prepared in a way so that Excel can import them.

You could actually work around that recent change, by turning off some security checks in MS Excel, but that's to be done in all staff member's Excel. (It may not be realistic in large teams.)

If, instead, you're looking for actual XLSX format files exported from JIRA, then there is the Better Excel Plugin, offering a viable alternative.

0 votes
Deleted user September 21, 2016

Hi Stefan,

CSV results are nasty when trying to retain format, and some values change their entire presentation.

Suggest you use the HTML option, download the file and open it with Excel. You can then save it as an xlsx file.

This seems to work the best for me.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 20, 2016

Excel exports have been deprecated and replaced with CSV exports as that's what people were asking for.  CSV files can be opened by spreadsheets, although they don't have as much formatting as the excel stuff had.

Suggest an answer