• Community
  • Products
  • Jira Software
  • Questions
  • I'm new to virtualization and intending using a Hyper-V server setup. My question is what is the best way of implementing a scenario with 2 Jira instances using MYSQL on Ubuntu server?

I'm new to virtualization and intending using a Hyper-V server setup. My question is what is the best way of implementing a scenario with 2 Jira instances using MYSQL on Ubuntu server?

Mark Lock November 1, 2014

I'm new to virtualization and intending using a Hyper-V server setup. My question is what is the best way of implementing a scenario with 2 Jira instances using MYSQL on Ubuntu server? 

Do I create two totally separate virtual machines each with a JIRA instance and Mysql server instance, or one Virtual Machine with the two JIRA instances sharing one MYSQL server instance.

I suspect the 2nd option of one MYSQL install would be less intensive on hardware resourses???

1 answer

0 votes
Stephen Gurnick
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 2, 2014

Since JIRA is a java application, it is best to run it on a system with plenty of memory - how much memory is something you'll have to experiment with, but I'd say at least 2GB for the heap.  Depending on the number of users you have, it can also be CPU intensive. You can run both JIRA instances on a single host if you are able to dedicate enough memory and CPU to each. The down side to this is it can make it more difficult to troubleshoot issues.  In this case though, I would put MySQL on a different host that the JIRA instances can share.

Based on my experience, I would recommend putting both JIRA instances on separate VMs. Since you are in a virtual environment, is there a reason why you are considering putting them on the same host?

Suggest an answer