I'm having trouble adding users to Jira. It appears the User Management tool has changed.

Stefanie Polsinelli November 17, 2014

I have admin rights. It used to be simple enough to add a new user, set up his/her username and password, and add him/her to the appropriate groups and with the correct filters on his/her dash.

The User Management tool appears to have changed because now an email gets sent to the new user without even giving me the option to not have that initial login confirmation email sent. And I can't seem to manipulate the account at all. I've hit a complete road block.

2 answers

0 votes
Stefanie Polsinelli November 17, 2014

Thanks for your response, Teilor.

I used my coworker's email (the guy I'm trying to add to Jira) to create the account, as I used to it. He got the confirmation email with his username. The email asks him to set his password.

However, the page on which I used his email address to create the account (under User Management) has changed. Now, the copy says "Fill in the information below to create new users. We'll email your teammates instructions for logging in." Before, you had the choice to have an email sent to the new user right away. As an admin, I never selected this option because I wanted to format the account before giving any login credentials to the new user.

I had my coworker forward me his confirmation email, and I set his password by clicking on the "Set my password" button in the email. But my coworker still doesn't show up as a user in Jira. Therefore, I can't manipulate his account at all (to add filters, etc.).

The User Management tool has definitely changed since I last added a user. I'm just trying to figure out how to use it.

Any help would be appreciated.

0 votes
teilor_soares
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 17, 2014

Hi Stefanie,

You will need an e-mail to create a new JIRA user, but you can inform any e-mail when creating then and the user will not need to confirm him/her new account. To create a new user, follow the steps below.:

1. Navigate to the User Management screen using the quick operation: gg + users.
  2. Choose Create User button to add a new user, fill the required fields and click Create. 

You new user should be able to login in JIRA now. Don't forget to add him/her to the right groups.

Cheers.

Suggest an answer