I have two different projects. Unable to start sprints (one for each) in parallel for these projects

jay May 30, 2017

Project A - I have created a Sprint and started.

Project B - Created the Sprint with the backlog, but unable to start. How can I do this?

2 answers

1 vote
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 30, 2017

Do you have two boards also? One for each project?

Sounds like you don't have the permission in project B to start a sprint. As you can see here:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/agile/jira-agile-resources/jira-agile-faq/what-are-the-permissions-used-in-agile-boards

you need admin permission in project B to start a sprint in Jira 6.7 

0 votes
Vincent Lyon May 30, 2017

Hi jay,

By projects, I assume you mean boards, right ?

Because in JIRA, projects are the biggest entities and are independant, so this kind of problem should not exist.

If you actually have two different projects, then I don't know how to help you with that.

Else :

You have to make sure that the boards don't share the same backlog. More important, the sprints you're trying to start must not contain the same issues. If there is just one issue in common, then you won't be able to start both of the sprints.

The best way to prevent this is to apply a Filter on both of the boards to make sure thay won't have the same backlog.

Regards,

Vincent

jay May 30, 2017

Backlogs are different. The error says Sprint 2 can't be started until Sprint 1 is complete.

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 30, 2017

could you please give us the filter query for your boards? 

jay May 30, 2017

Board A - atlassian.net/secure/RapidBoard.jspa?rapidView=1&view=planning.nodetail

Board B - atlassian.net/secure/RapidBoard.jspa?rapidView=2&view=planning.nodetail

Vincent Lyon May 30, 2017

These aren't the filter queries.

You'll find it in Configure Board --> General

Default ones are usually something like this :

project = <project name> ORDER BY cf[17592] ASC

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 30, 2017

no, not the URL  - we can't look here into your Boards, we are not Atlassian stuff, just users as you.

Please provide us the filter query: 

• Open the board settings ("..."-Button on the upper right corner)
  • Then you should see the Filter Query for the board

Should be a JQL-Query.

jay May 30, 2017

Sorry. I am new to JIRA. Thanks a ton for your kindness.

Here it is,

Board 1 - project = EPSILON ORDER BY Rank ASC

Board 2 - project = IOTA ORDER BY Rank ASC

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 30, 2017

OK, that looks good. Do you have an active Sprint in both boards?

Please check also, if you have administer project - permission in both projects. (Epsilon and IOTA)

jay May 30, 2017

In EPSILON backlog, both sprints are shown. In IOTA backlog, only iota sprint is shown.

I think the issue is due to backlog overlap between both. How come a separate project, overlaps with another.

jay May 30, 2017

Screen Shot 2017-05-30 at 10.08.57 PM.png

jay May 30, 2017

Screen Shot 2017-05-30 at 10.09.16 PM.png

jay May 30, 2017

I have Administer Projects permission for both.

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 31, 2017

That is really strange... 

Do you have a lot of issues in Project Epsilon? If there are not so many, I would look at every issue there and check, whether you find IOTA-Sprint 1  in the Agile-panel of the main issue-view

jay May 31, 2017

In Project Epsilon, I have removed all backlog issues from Sprint. Added only 10 issues to 'Epsilon Sprint 2'. This sprint, I am unable to start.

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 31, 2017

no, I meant something else. Look at every single epsilon-issue in the regular Jira issue view (not backlog) and search for the agile-panel:

sprintview.pngHopefully, you find IOTA-Sprint1 somewhere there.

Suggest an answer