I have added a post function for updating "Remaining days" in each status, and I want it to reduce 1

Qumar April 24, 2017

I have added a post function for updating "Remaining days" in each status, and I want it to reduce 1d every working day.

For example : 

When task is Created >> Task goes in "Open Status" using post function it adds 5d in Reamining Estimate on  January 1

Now after 24 hrs or  on January 2 , the remaining estimate should be 4d 

I didnt find any solution to this scenario...

1 answer

0 votes
Alex Christensen
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 24, 2017

As far as I know, there's no way to do this - I'm sure you could find an add-on or create some custom code to do this, but I don't really recommend it.

Is the time for each status going to be known upfront? I assume yes, since you update the Remaining Estimate automatically when going from status to status. I would actually recommend using a Task > Sub-task structure to approach this - each sub-task would track the individual remaining estimate and time spent for each Status on the Task. This prevents you from updating the single Remaining Estimate for a Task over and over again.

Also, I'd recommend having a user actually log their work to the Task every day, subtracting 1d manually as a work log. In my opinion, there's just too many variables that could prevent an automatic deduction of hours (specifically, holidays and non-working days). 

Qumar April 25, 2017

Alex,

Thanks for answering my question, I understand I can do all the above but Each Issue Type has own workflow so can't use sub-trask type structure. 

And the client Needs to be reminded every day about the days left and also they want to see the Remaining days left in each status.

Although I have all the days off sceduled in JIRA so hopefully it shouldn't count those in remaining days. Is there any way to resolve? (I do have JIRA Misc Workflow Extensions,Unique Regex Custom Field and JIRA Suite Utilities plugins) 

Thanks 

Amit

Alex Christensen
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 25, 2017

You might be able to update the Remaining Estimate using a scripted post-function from the ScriptRunner add-on (you might even be able to do it with one of the add-ons you have installed).

The tricky part is going to be decreasing the Remaining Estimate by 1d each working day. That's not going to be possible without another add-on - you might be able to do that with the Automation add-on, but I'm not sure on that. That add-on is free, so you might try messing around with it to see what you could do.

Have you considered using a date field instead of updating Remaining Estimate? Using a scripted post-function (withy ScriptRunner), you could set the due date out X days after a transition to another status. You could then set up some filters/dashboards to monitor Tasks based on their due dates.

Suggest an answer