• Community
  • Products
  • Jira Software
  • Questions
  • I have a query which yields only 120 records and is no longer able to Export to Excel. Other JIRA users in my organisation are experiencing this same problem.

I have a query which yields only 120 records and is no longer able to Export to Excel. Other JIRA users in my organisation are experiencing this same problem.

Deborah Burbidge July 20, 2016

Exporting Search Results to Microsoft Excel - I have a query which yields only 120 records and is no longer able to Export to Excel. Other JIRA users in my organisation are experiencing this same problem.  Why should it no longer work?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 20, 2016

Could you explain the symptoms of "can not export to excel"?  No button?  Churning?  File arrives but looks blank?  File arrives with data that a text editor can read but excel won't open?

0 votes
Deborah Burbidge July 20, 2016

Hello Nic, we have found a work around which is time consuming but here goes.  The problem seems to be related to using Office 365. When I output a query to Excel HML format it was opening a blank file.  We downloaded King Soft and opened using WPS Spreadsheet. We had saved the blank file excel file from JIRA which actually was populated successfully into WPS Spreadsheet. We saved it back to Excel 2010. We experimented with this using Chrome.  Obviously a better long term solution is required as this is too much to expect of our user community.  Please advise if there is a better way of doing this.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 21, 2016

I can't think of one, it sounds like a bug in Office 365 that needs fixing.

JIRA is generating perfectly valid XML for the spreadsheet.  If Office 365 can't read it, but other applications can, it's a problem with Office 365.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
July 21, 2016

Yep, bugs in office - a full explanation is over at https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/39432356

Suggest an answer