I have a field called "Team ranking" in Jira which has numbers 1,2,3,4,... and once an issue moves t

Priyanka khare February 26, 2021

Hello,

I have a field called "Team ranking" in Jira which has numbers 1,2,3,4,... and once an issue moves to a particular status "Production" the team ranking value of this issue is taken over by the next issue.. likewise, if the other issue moves to "Production" the next issue takes its value.
For ex -

issue key TeamRanking Status
PTP-1 1 To-do
PTP-2 2 In Progress
PTP-3 3 In Review
PTP-4 4 on Hold
PTP-5 5 to-do

In the above scenario if PTP-2 moves to production then the TeamRanking should change as-

PTP-1 1 To-do
PTP-3 2 In Review
PTP-4 3 on Hold
PTP-5 4 to-do

How can I achieve the above scenario?

Kindly advice.

Best Regards,
Priyanka

1 answer

0 votes
Benz Kek _Adaptavist_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 28, 2021

Hi Priyanka, could you elaborate more about the taking over? Is the "Time ranking" a Scripted field?

From my understanding, you seem trying to maintain a sequence of numbers with the field. And I not sure if these numbers have any connection to the Status? 

Priyanka khare March 1, 2021

@Benz Kek _Adaptavist_ This is a simple custom field(number type) . I want to maintain a sequence as above , These number have nothing to do with the status as of now but i want that if an issue is moved to status "production "the issue number next to this one should take the value of its previous issue.

Ex: if PTP-2 is moved to  Production then the issue key PTP-3 should have 2 as its "team ranking" and PTP-4 should have 3 and PTP should have 4.

And if PTP-3 moves to production then PTP-4 should have 2 and PTP-5 should have 3... and so on,

Regards

Priyanka

Benz Kek _Adaptavist_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 2, 2021

@Priyanka khare I don't see a reason for doing that, at least not in a logical way. Are you trying to rank the issues yourself rather than using Jira Software's ranking? 

To keep a sequence like that is not straightforward in the Jira environment unless you do it like a linked list way. But still, you have to grab every single issue you have and update them accordingly - which is computationally expensive if your project is big. 

Suggest an answer