I have 2instances for Jira and they are linked, can we write single JQL for both instances

vikranthcms July 26, 2021

One project in Jira Ainstance  is linking the issues from  JiraB instance from multiple projects. I want to write a JQL query by pulling all the linked issues from the Jira B instance for the project in Jira A

2 answers

2 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 26, 2021

No.  The link (I assume you mean application link) is a frame for some closer integration, but the issues in one Jira cannot be searched from the search running in another, that's well beyond the capabilities of the search at the moment.

Searches rely on the index and to do this, you'd need both Jira systems to be indexing the other one as well as the local one.  (or be able to issue a remote search).  Then you'd need to think about how you would draw the results from the other Jira into the current one for display, bearing in mind the current Jira has only REST access to the issues at the other end.  Would also make syntax checking on JQL "fun" - validating "project = <other jira>XYZ" is a minefield as well...

1 vote
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 30, 2021

Hi @vikranthcms

agreeing with what Nic said a very good user experience is not possible with what is provided by the architecture as of today.

In case you want just to query for linked issue to a remote instance (second Jira server let's say) this is possible with the ScriptRunner App but (like Nic also said) by no means you can pull the linked issues into a project on your local instance doing so.

However, assuming I did not fully cover your requirement it is possible this helps you at least a bit to give some idea:

project = ACCOUNTNG AND issueFunction in linkedIssuesOfRemote("host", "second-jira.example.org")

... in this query the user queries for all issues in project accounting that have a link to their remote Jira

Regards,
Daniel

Suggest an answer