I get an exception when transitioning a sub task

Matt Skilton August 18, 2015

I get the below exception when trying to transition an issue from Resolved to Intest and beyond t closed.

org.ofbiz.core.entity.GenericTransactionException: Commit failed, rollback previously requested by nested transaction.
It seems that you have tried to perform an illegal workflow operation.
If you think this message is wrong, please contact your JIRA administrators.

4 answers

5 votes
Jim McHugh January 18, 2018

This happened in our system when a post function in a child issue was triggering it's parent issue to transition, but a validator in the parent issue was failing.  The error message in the parent issue did not make it down to the child issue and instead there was this error:

org.ofbiz.core.entity.GenericTransactionException: Commit failed, rollback previously requested by nested transaction.
It seems that you have tried to perform an illegal workflow operation.
If you think this message is wrong, please contact your JIRA administrators.

Fixing the parent issue transition problem addressed this problem.

Junio Fernandes November 20, 2018

You're right! Tks!

Viktor Zech June 1, 2021

Thank you!

0 votes
Michael Durkin September 1, 2015

Just to echo the error Matt commented about:  

I am using the current JIRA OnDemand and had already, and successfully, been using the transition parent as follows: Using a parent "Global Transition" and a parent conditional that requires all sub-tasks to be either "Complete" or "Done" , when true, it transitions the parent to its "Done" state.

Now, I too am receiving the error message described above.

The mentioned workaround, "Make the Transition the parent has to go through a Global transition." was already in place.  

When I originally created the transition for the parent it was "Global" and each subtask workflow, respectively, post function (last line) is set to to "transition # will be triggered on the issues' parent issue.

So, it was working fine and now is not.  That is troubling and frustrating at the same time.

Sure, I could removed the post function to transition the parent, but that does not resolve what use to work.

Any comments appreciated.

0 votes
Mauro Badii
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 18, 2015

Hi Matt, I was just answering that on https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/24646330

The Cloud release and the JIRA Misc Workflow Extensions plugins are having problems.

See https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-44681

0 votes
michael_ngangom
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 18, 2015

Hello Matt,

Check the below workarounds:

# Make the Transition the parent has to go through a Global transition. 
or 
# Remove the Post function that affects the parent.

Suggest an answer