• Community
  • Products
  • Jira Software
  • Questions
  • I dont want to give all transition permissions but only the close permission. How can I configure this? I tried also with the "condition" on the transition but it doesn't work...any idea? (Jira 7.2) Thanks in advance Emanuele Agresti

I dont want to give all transition permissions but only the close permission. How can I configure this? I tried also with the "condition" on the transition but it doesn't work...any idea? (Jira 7.2) Thanks in advance Emanuele Agresti

emanuele agresti March 5, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: How to grant users permission to Close Issues in JIRA

I dont want to give all transition permissions but only the close permission. How can I configure this? I tried also with the "condition" on the transition but it doesn't work...any idea? (Jira 7.2) Thanks in advance Emanuele Agresti

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 5, 2016

It's not clear what you really want to set up to allow or prevent here, but we can try to explain some principles.

There are two layers to transition permissions in JIRA. 

Every transition can have "conditions" added to it, and these are intended to prevent the wrong people from performing transitions (or prevent them from doing it when it's inappropriate.  These conditions are mostly quite intuitive, ranging from very simple clear ones such as "only the current assignee" or "user must be in role of developer", through to complex ones like "user must have permission X or Y". 

In the more recent versions of JIRA, there is an extra hard-coded one that says "user must have the 'transition issue' permission" as well.

The second layer is the actual permission scheme.  A lot of conditions rely on the permission scheme, and use obvious things like "to resolve an issue, the user must have the permission called resolve-issue as granted by the permission scheme".

So, to give a user all transition permission except close, you, well do that.  Put conditions on the "close" transition that enable you to say "only users that match rule X can do this", and then make sure your user doesn't have it.

(Yes, this seems unnecessarily complex, but it really does give you a huge amount of flexibility)

now something is more clear...

but I need to give only the close permission to an user: what is the best way to do this? the only "close permission" in the permission schema is not enough, so I tried to put a condition on the transition "only users in project role X can close" but also this doesn't work...so what can I try?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 5, 2016

The conditions are the starting point for this question.  You need to look at the conditions on the "close" transition and modify them or the user so that they meet the conditions.

If, for example, the conditions say "only group X can do this", then the user needs to be in group X.  The more standarad and useful case is that a condition will say "user must be in role of Y in this project". 

But the one that probably applies here is that the condition says "the user has 'close issue' permission".  You'll need to look at the permission scheme to establish (and change) if they have that permission.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 5, 2016

If you're still stuck here, could you give us a list of all the conditions on the "close" transition, and a look at the relevant parts of the permission scheme and user's group/role membership.

ok, I'll report here my configuration:

in my workflow (starting from the defaultAgile 4 steps) I added a condition on the transition DONE that says:

any of the following condition:

• Only users with Close Issues permission can execute this transition.
  • Only users in project role Users can execute this transition

Im my permission Schema I have granted the 

• close issue permission to Developers and Users

My test users is in the Users of the project.

In this configuration my test user cannot close an issue.

If I add the Resolve Issue Permission, no change.

If I add the Transition Issue Permission the test user can close the issue BUT can also do any other transition (for example from in progress to review or in To do etc....) and I would avoid this...

Where I'm wrong?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 6, 2016

Your last line says it all.  You need to give the user the transition issue permission in order to allow them to do any transition in the workflow.  You've correctly protected the Done transition with a couple of rules, but you have not protected any of the other transitions with anything.

Add a rule like "only developers" to all the other transitions.

emanuele agresti March 6, 2016

ok this solve the question 

Thanks

emanuele agresti March 7, 2016

now that all works fine, I have configured a Kanban board and I expected that the users that can only close the issues, they can drag and drop only in DONE colum...but this not happens...the user can't move anything....Do I have to setup additional permission?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 8, 2016

The boards follow the workflow.  If you have a columns like:

• To-do, containing status "Open"
  • In progress, containing status "In dev" and "In test"
  • Done, containing status "closed"

Then your users can only move from "to do" to "done" if the workflow has a transition from "Open" to "closed", AND they have "transition issue" permission in the project, AND they match the other conditions on that transition.

If your users can't move things across the board, then they don't match the conditions.  Or there are validators blocking them

emanuele agresti March 8, 2016

strange...no validators ....if the board follow the workflow and my user is able to put in close an issue, I'll expect that my user should be able to drag&dorp issue in DONE column....but it is not so...any other suggestion?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 8, 2016

The board is trying to follow the workflow.  Nothing else on there would stop them. 

I think you need to show us what columns you have defined for the board, what the board filter is, your workflow diagram (or the text view) and then an exact definition of a transition that is blocked for the user (all conditions and validators)

Suggest an answer