I dont understand about Burndown's metric

Jay Chu July 24, 2016

i have a burndown chart on JIRA but i dont understand the metric at the red region as attached image. Pls help me.

Burndown.jpg

1 answer

0 votes
Petar Petrov (Appfire)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 24, 2016

It is the time axis of the chart - the chart shows the remaining user story points as a function of time. Do you have a more specific question about it?

Jay Chu July 24, 2016

Thank @Petar Petrov!

i am understand as you, too. But i  am viewing chart by "Original Time Estimated" parameter and the sprint will run one week/ 1 sprint.

• I dont understand about the hour metric beside date

@Petar Petrov do you have skype? can i contact with you by skype?

Petar Petrov (Appfire)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 24, 2016

The y-axis is the time estimation for the stories in the sprint in hours. The x-axis is time - it begins when your sprint start and ends when your sprint ends. The x-axis also shows time for your convenience, since the sprint is short and the chart zoom level is high. See the documentation for more information.

Jay Chu July 25, 2016

Burndown.jpg

@Petar Petrov [Botron] pls follow as this image, i dont understand the metric which the red arrow is focusing.
In addition, i am not still clear about relationship between Jira's burndown chart
with metric of time tracking in each ticket's detail: how are they connnect together?

Jay Chu July 26, 2016

@Petar Petrov [Botron] pls help me. thankyou!

Petar Petrov (Appfire)
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 26, 2016

Hi Jay,

This is not a metric - this is the time axis - it shows you the date/time at which the values of the metric above (the burndown chart) are taken. In your case it shows that on July 25-th at 16h there were about 100 hours remaining in the sprint, at July 26-th 00h (midnight) there were 110-nish hours remaining and so on. The time spend stays at 0 in your case. The burndown shows the sum of all hours remaining for the issues in the spring for a given time. Please read the docs which I referred you to. Also, keep track of the issue in the sprint and their time tracking and check the chart periodically - this will help you understand what it shows.

Jay Chu July 26, 2016

Hi @Petar Petrov [Botron]

But i want to remove these time metric and only display the date metric as the attached image.

The periods (00-08-16) are not match with our real working time start 8h30 to 12h for morning and start 13h30 to 18h for afternoon. I dont understand their meaning and i dont find the place to config them in the administrator. i want to remove them!

gh_burndown-chart.png

This is a the example image.

Jay Chu August 2, 2016

hi @Petar Petrov [Botron]

Pls help me, i still waiting your answers for my problem.

Suggest an answer