I don't understand why adding a column for a custom status in the board won't show issues

Eli Avital January 8, 2017

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Configuring columns

From the documentation:

1. However, some statuses (in particular, custom statuses) may not be available for issues on your board if the JIRA workflows used by these issues do not utilize those statuses.

I don't understand this "feature", why can't I see on the board the issues that are assigned to my custom status? Why would I add a column of anyways it stays empty?
Maybe I misunderstand and I would appreciate your help.
I have several status, TODO -> In Progress -> Code Review -> Done
I added a column for Code Review status and mapped it to my status, on my board I can see the new column but it contains no issues and the counter shows 0, even though there are issues assigned to this status (I can see if if I search issues in open sprints with status "Code Review").
Thank you for your help.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 8, 2017

No, you've not misunderstood it, but Atlassian (and frankly most of us administrators) have had support issues where people have said "my column is empty" or "I can't drag anything into the column" and it's turned out to be because the column doesn't contain any status or it has a status in it that is not used in the project(s) the board is looking at.

Some people do add columns that will be empty, but it's more likely to happen when a board is reconfigured and drops a project out, and that's the only project using a status.

So, on to your missing issues - can you find one to experiment with and check that it's in the sprint as well as in the right status?  If it's a Kanban board, also check the fix version field is empty.

Hi,

Thank you for your quick response.

Indeed I am running a search filter:

Sprint in openSprints() AND status = "Code Review"

I am getting list of issues that are in this status and open in the current sprint, but still I can't see them on the board.

It is not a kanban board

Hi,

I also checked:

Dragging an issue from "In Progress" to "Code Review" successfully changes the status to the right status, but it disappears from the board and is not present in this board column.

Do you have any ideas why does it happen?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 8, 2017

Good, that rules out a few things.  Some further questions now you've narrowed it down loads:

• Definitely in the current sprint?  (Open sprints is good, but only current sprint will show on the working board)
  • Are there any quick-filters active on the board?
  • What is the board filter?
  • Is the issue shown on the backlog view?  (Anywhere?)

Edit - oops, sorry, a screenshot of the column config screen might be handy too.

Hi Nic,

I had no quick filters, but thanks to your advice to check the board filter I found out that this status was missing.

It is now fixed.

Thank you.

Like Ashwin Tutak likes this

Suggest an answer